Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application C#

Question

• I keep getting "Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application" Although I searched discussion on this topic, I didn't find resolution to this problem

I currently have two PCs(laptop and desktop) intalled Win 8. This error ""Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application" only happens when complie/running C# project in desktop PC. The notebook has ndivia GeForce 8400M with resolution of 1680x1050 and desktop has ATI Radeon 5700 with resolution of 1920x1080.

"Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application" only happens on my desktop using new application, one that I created. Newly create C++ projects and sample C# projects works fine.

Here is what I did

Create new C# project, compile and run - works

Add light_generic.xaml (Project -> Add existing item, not by dragging), compile and run - compiles buts gets this "Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application" message.

Remove light_generic.xaml, compile and run -> still gets "Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application"

Change appmanifest packaging name, compile and run -> still gets "Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application"

Change resolution to smaller ones, compile and run -> still gets "Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application"

Debug using remote debugger (remote device is tablet Iconia w500) -> still gets "Unable to activate Windows Tailored Application"

I am trying to work with C# using my desktop - my notebook is really slow :(

I don't know if chaning graphic card would help..

Can somebody help?

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• @Scott.hlee - sorry you are having these problems.  Can you tell me if in app.xaml you are seeing any reference to light_generic.xaml as a merged dictionary still?  If so, remove it.  If you need it, make sure there is no leading slash in the reference.  It should be:

Source=light_generic.xaml

and NOT:

Source=/light_generic.xaml

This is a known bug (the leading slash should work) in the preview.

Feel free to send me your project and I can take a look as well.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:27 AM