Publish Cloud Service causes Visual Studio 2013 to hang / crash RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded Visual Studio 2013 from Update 2 or 3 to Update 5. At the same time, I upgraded all of the Azure tools I have installed to their latest versions (whatever was available in the Tools / Extensions and Updates / Updates screen).

Prior to doing those upgrades, I had been able to deploy straight from Visual Studio to my Azure Cloud Service several times without problem (other than it being painfully slow).

My Cloud Service just has 1 simple Website worker role, btw.

After doing the upgrades, when I attempt to Publish the Cloud Service, Visual Studio will show me the Output window with these two lines:

1>------ Build started: Project: Buckhead.Website.Azure, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

2>------ Publish started: Project: Buckhead.Website.Azure, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

A progress bar will appear in the lower right corner of VS (just above the systray), and after about 10 seconds, VS will become unresponsive to any clicks.  If left for a half hour or so, VS will fully crash.

I should note that I get the same results whether the target C.S. already exists or not.  In other words, I have completely deleted the Cloud Service, in an attempt to have VS create it afresh, and it still crashes.

I have found that I can still use the "Package" functionality of the Cloud Service project, and then I am able to upload the built package to Azure via the management portal site, but I'm obviously eager to get a fix that prevents VS from crashing in this scenario so that I can go back to publishing my preferred way.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

• Edited by EricDAllen Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:33 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:31 PM

Answers

• Thanks Nithin-

Oddly, I submitted a response to this post earlier today, but it is missing.

Anyway, in short, those articles didn't resolve the issue for me.

However, I WAS able to deploy a new Cloud Service project.

So I did a line-by-line comparison between all of the files in that new project and everything in my existing one and found only two possible things wrong:
    1) The version stamps (dates, really) in my files were not upgraded to reflect the latest version of the Azure tools.  I manually changed those in my existing project to match the garbage test project's date stamps.
    2) My XML files had some empty sections that did not exist in the new project's files, so I simply removed those empty sections.
    3) Beyond that, I also deleted my *.user file.

While I don't have a fully working deployment yet (it's failing on certificate-related errors, because I deleted my old site), I can say with confidence that the hang/crash has been addressed by at least one of those three steps above.

Best regards,
    Eric

• Marked as answer by EricDAllen Friday, October 2, 2015 8:47 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to the following threads that discuss similar issue.
     https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7d17257f-0697-42f0-9452-56109eccd2b2/vs-2013-crashes-on-publish?forum=visualstudiogeneral
     https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1e5f3b1c-efeb-431d-956c-937465ce7a15/publish-causes-vs-to-hang?forum=windowsazuredevelopment
     https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b2789794-9370-447a-944a-52a903992922/cant-publish-to-azure-cloud-service-from-visual-studio-2013?forum=windowsazuredevelopment

try to re-create the publish profile and check if you can publish, since you are able to build the package, I think this might be the issue.
     You can also try with a test project and check if you can deploy/publish to rule out issues with VS installation.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,
    Nithin Rathnakar

Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:02 PM
  • Hi Nithin-

Thank you for pulling those links together.  Unfortunately, this is still broken for me.  Things I've tried:

1) Entirely delete the existing cloud service AS WELL AS the publish profile from my project.  Using a new publish profile and a different target service name (just because), VS 2013 still hangs/crashes.

2) Create a brand new Cloud Service project with a single Web Role project.  The New Project wizard crashed with a null ref, and the solution wouldn't build, because the CS project isn't set up to reference the WR project it just created.  I'll work on getting around that later today.

I AM still able to create the packages and manually deploy them to Azure, but deploying from within VS still crashes.

Thanks for the ideas!  If there are diagnostic logs I can attach that might be of use, please let me know where to look for them.

Eric

Friday, October 2, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Thanks Nithin-

Oddly, I submitted a response to this post earlier today, but it is missing.

Anyway, in short, those articles didn't resolve the issue for me.

However, I WAS able to deploy a new Cloud Service project.

So I did a line-by-line comparison between all of the files in that new project and everything in my existing one and found only two possible things wrong:
    1) The version stamps (dates, really) in my files were not upgraded to reflect the latest version of the Azure tools.  I manually changed those in my existing project to match the garbage test project's date stamps.
    2) My XML files had some empty sections that did not exist in the new project's files, so I simply removed those empty sections.
    3) Beyond that, I also deleted my *.user file.

While I don't have a fully working deployment yet (it's failing on certificate-related errors, because I deleted my old site), I can say with confidence that the hang/crash has been addressed by at least one of those three steps above.

Best regards,
    Eric

• Marked as answer by EricDAllen Friday, October 2, 2015 8:47 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:47 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem here, anyone managed to find a fix?
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 9:42 PM