SmallBasic file extensions RRS feed

• Question

• My SmallBasic software will not give me the option to save My First Lesson as .exe. It will only save it as .sb. I cannot "run" any more programs for the lessons as an .sb file.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:04 PM

Answers

• The .sb file is your program text.  To create an .exe, your code needs to be compiled from your source code to a program that can be run (the .exe).

To compile your program load it in the SB interface and run it.  When it is run, it is first compiled and the exe is written to the same folder of your .sb.

Note that the SmallBasicLibrary.dll (and any extension dlls) are also copied here and are need to run your exe.

You can run your exe outside the SB interface (as long as the required dlls are also there).  This mean you can actually copy your exe + dlls anywhere and run it on any PC that has .Net 3.5 SP1 installed even if it doesn't have SmallBasic.

• Proposed as answer by Jibba j Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jibba j Monday, January 27, 2014 2:48 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:10 PM
  • When you save the SmallBasic source code (the program) it is saved as an *.sb file. When you run the program (F5) an exe file is automatically created. You don't have to do this. When you want to open the program later you just load the .sb file and can run it again.

When you want to save another program, you have to give it a different name.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

• Edited by WhTurner33Editor Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jibba j Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:41 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:13 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The .sb file is your program text.  To create an .exe, your code needs to be compiled from your source code to a program that can be run (the .exe).

To compile your program load it in the SB interface and run it.  When it is run, it is first compiled and the exe is written to the same folder of your .sb.

Note that the SmallBasicLibrary.dll (and any extension dlls) are also copied here and are need to run your exe.

You can run your exe outside the SB interface (as long as the required dlls are also there).  This mean you can actually copy your exe + dlls anywhere and run it on any PC that has .Net 3.5 SP1 installed even if it doesn't have SmallBasic.

• Proposed as answer by Jibba j Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:39 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:10 PM
  • When you save the SmallBasic source code (the program) it is saved as an *.sb file. When you run the program (F5) an exe file is automatically created. You don't have to do this. When you want to open the program later you just load the .sb file and can run it again.

When you want to save another program, you have to give it a different name.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

• Edited by WhTurner33Editor Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jibba j Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:41 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:13 PM
    Answerer