Error while creating a blob container RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i am using following code to create a container in local dev env.

_account = CloudStorageAccount.FromConfigurationSetting("DataConnectionString");

_client = _account.CreateCloudBlobClient();

_gbsContainer = RoleEnvironment.GetConfigurationSettingValue("ContainerName");

_blobContainer = _client.GetContainerReference(_gbsContainer);

bool status = _blobContainer.CreateIfNotExist();

but the highlighted line throws an exception :

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.StorageClientException was caught
      Message="One of the request inputs is out of range."
      Source="Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient"
      StackTrace:
           at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1.get_Result()
           at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1.ExecuteAndWait()
           at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.TaskImplHelper.ExecuteImplWithRetry[T](Func`2 impl, RetryPolicy policy)
           at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.CloudBlobContainer.CreateIfNotExist(BlobRequestOptions options)
           at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.CloudBlobContainer.CreateIfNotExist()
           at AzureStorageLib.StorageClient.Initialize() in E:\AutoDesk\Code\AzureCode\AppRole\AzureStorageLib\StorageClient.cs:line 33
      InnerException: System.Net.WebException
           Message="The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request."
           Source="System"
           StackTrace:
                at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
                at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.EventHelper.ProcessWebResponse(WebRequest req, IAsyncResult asyncResult, EventHandler`1 handler, Object sender)
           InnerException:

Am i missing somthing in above code?

Thanks in advance.

Vinayak.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Vinayak,

Can you share the name of the blob container you're trying to create? In general here are the rules for naming a blob container:

The blob container name must be a valid DNS name, confirming to the following naming rules:

1. Blob container names must start with a letter or number, and can contain only letters, numbers, and the dash (-) character.

2. Every dash (-) character must be immediately preceded and followed by a letter or number.

3. All letters in a container name must be lowercase.

4. Blob container names must be from 3 through 63 characters long.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinayak,

Can you share the name of the blob container you're trying to create? In general here are the rules for naming a blob container:

The blob container name must be a valid DNS name, confirming to the following naming rules:

1. Blob container names must start with a letter or number, and can contain only letters, numbers, and the dash (-) character.

2. Every dash (-) character must be immediately preceded and followed by a letter or number.

3. All letters in a container name must be lowercase.

4. Blob container names must be from 3 through 63 characters long.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Hi Gaurav,

Thank You for your reply!!

The container name that i used was test.container. Notice the (.) seperating two words. But i was really undone by the instructions in Azure training kit that mentioned the following:

The container name must be a valid Domain Name System (DNS) name, conforming to the following naming rules:
    - Must start with a letter or number, and can contain only letters, numbers, and the period (.) and dash(-) characters.
    - All letters must be lowercase.
    - Must be from 3 to 63 characters long.
    - A name cannot contain a dash next to a period.

Azure guys : You should really be reviewing the content you put on training kit.

Correcting the container name worked for me.

Thanks once again gaurav.

Vinayak.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:29 AM
  • I'll pass this along to the folks who own the Training Kit.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:22 PM
  • Yes Steve, that would help save some time of other startup guys.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:23 AM