Visual Studio 2008 wants SQL Server 2005 – SQL Server 2008 is installed RRS feed

• Question

• On my machine I have in the past used Visual Studio Express 2005, then upgraded to VSE 2008, then upgraded to Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition.  I have also used SQL Server Express 2005, now upgraded to SQL Server 2008 (SQLS08).

Unfortunately, I had some difficulty installing SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 (SSMSE08).  I was “helpfully” advised to uninstall SQL Server Express 2005, prior to install of SQL Server Express 2008.  I now have clean, functioning install of SQL 2008 Express with SSME08 and they appear to function normally and completely.

However, if I attempt to add a new SQL database in VS using Project | Add new item | SQL Server Database…’ then VS complains:

Connections to SQL Server files (*mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.”  -- Recall that I have SQLS08 running normally.

But, if I attempt to add a new SQL database in VS using Server Explorer window it works normally.

Question: is there a simple way to get VS08 to abandon SQL05 and use my installed SQL08??

I am XP SP3, Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, Live OneCare

Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Jellotx,

Referring to SQL Server, in theory, there is no conflict between them. We can install SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 on the same machine.
    Here's a thread that gives you a good practise about SQL Server installing. If you want to update your SQL Server, it's useful.
    http://forums.asp.net/p/1357279/2791779.aspx#2791779

Since SQL Server 2008 is applied, Visual Studio 2008 SP1 may be required for SQL Server 2008 installations to have a supported configuration. Visual Studio 2008 SP1 is not required if you have not installed the following features in SQL Server 2008:
        Management Tools (Basic or Complete)
        Integration Services Business
        Intelligence Development Studio
    For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956139

You can try modifying the property Database Connections in Visual Studio 2008 to work with new installed SQL Server 2008 Express Edition.
    Please go to Tools -> Options -> Database Tools -> Database Connections , fill the SQL Server Instance Name with the name of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition instance.

If it doesn't work, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, May 4, 2009 3:17 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:32 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  I have already tried:
    Tools -> Options -> Database Tools -> Database Connections, fill the SQL Server Instance Name with the name of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition instance.

Additionally, I tried leaving the name blank.

I also tried
    Tools -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Restore File Associations

The asp.net forum link you supplied has provided me with a valuable clue, in that the SQL05 installed instance by default is named SQLEXPRESS.  Recall that I uninstalled SQL05 (more on why I did this below), then installed SQL08 – it is also named SQLEXPRESS, and since VS2008 was already installed and “knew” about SQL05 (also named SQLEXPRESS), how would it get changed?

I apologize in advance (I would never push back against an MFST Moderator of your credentials), however while your statement that:
    “Referring to SQL Server, in theory, there is no conflict between them. We can install SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 on the same machine.
    Is true in theory, in actual practice – upgrading from SQL and VS 05 to SQL and VS 08 has certain implications.  Most notably there is no practical way to install SQL Server Management Studio Express 08 if there is an existing install of SQL05 on the machine.  (I was advised of this in the SQL Server forum in order to get SSMSE to install, which is why I removed SQL05 in the first place).

I currently have a functioning SQL08 with SSMSE and no SQL05.  If I now reinstall SQL05 I believe VS2008 will continue to ignore my SQL08.

Any other suggestions?? (Like should I ininstall SQL2008 and reinstall it and name the instance something other than "SQLEXPRESS"?)

Thanks in advance for your time, I see you are having a very busy day.

Monday, April 27, 2009 11:34 AM
  • Hi Jellotx,
    The asp.net forum link you supplied has provided me with a valuable clue, in that the SQL05 installed instance by default is named SQLEXPRESS.  Recall that I uninstalled SQL05 (more on why I did this below), then installed SQL08 – it is also named SQLEXPRESS, and since VS2008 was already installed and “knew” about SQL05 (also named SQLEXPRESS), how would it get changed?

SQL Server instances cannot be renamed. So you could try reinstalling SQL Server 2008 with a different instance name and then modifying the property Database Connections in Visual Studio 2008 to work with new installed SQL Server 2008.

I apologize in advance (I would never push back against an MFST Moderator of your credentials), however while your statement that:
    “Referring to SQL Server, in theory, there is no conflict between them. We can install SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 on the same machine.
    Is true in theory , in actual practice – upgrading from SQL and VS 05 to SQL and VS 08 has certain implications.  Most notably there is no practical way to install SQL Server Management Studio Express 08 if there is an existing install of SQL05 on the machine.  (I was advised of this in the SQL Server forum in order to get SSMSE to install, which is why I removed SQL05 in the first place).

I have both SQL Server 2005 and 2008. They can work side by side. Since different PC has different environment, it's hard to say that there will be no problem in actual practice.
    This forum is for the support of Visual Studio installation. If you want to know how to install SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008, SQL Server forum is a good choice.

If you still have any concern on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:15 AM
  • I still have major concern.  Yes, I know this forum is for support of Visual Studio installation.  I have gone back and installed SQL Server Express 2005.  As you say it works flawlessly alongside my installed SQL Server Express 2008.  I also have installed and have working SQSMSE for both 05 and 08, the SQL Server(s) work fine – I don’t need any help related to them.  I have installed SQLS05 with both “Named Instance” (SQLEXPRESS05) and a “Default” instance.

My original question stands unaddressed: Question: is there a simple way to get VS08 to abandon SQL05 and use my installed SQL08??

I’ll modify it to; Is there any way to get the VS Solution Explorer (Server Explorer works fine) to recognize one of the installed and functioning SQL Express Servers??  Recall that I have uninstalled and reinstalled VS 2008 several times.  Is there a registry entry that I must edit??

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Hi Jellotx,

I can understand that you want Visual Studio 2008 to automatically recognize SQL Server 2008.

Since Visual Studio 2008 and 2005 were released before SQL Server 2008, their respective tools and data designers do not automatically support SQL Server 2008. SQL Server 2008 support is available in Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1. So you need to upgrade Visual Studio 2008 to SP1 at first.

The data manipulation in Visual Studio 2008 is related to the instance name that you can find in Tools -> Options -> Database Tools -> Database Connections -> SQL Server Instance Name (By default, the instance name is "SQLEXPRESS").
    So try installing SQL Server 2008 as the instance name "SQLEXPRESS" (SQL Server 2005 Express with default instance name SQLEXPRESS).

Thanks
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:51 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I am at Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and have been throughout this ordeal.  Here is what Help|About says

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

Installed Edition: IDE Standard
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB945140)   KB945140
    This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition - ENU.
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945140.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB947888)   KB947888
    If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be uninstalled automatically.
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947888.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition - ENU Service Pack 1 (KB948484)   KB948484
    For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948484.

I have been to Tools -> Options -> Database Tools -> Database Connections -> SQL Server Instance Name and have tried every possible permutation (SQLEXPRESS, machinename\SQLEXPRESS, SQLEXPRESS05 (a special instance I installed), left the name blank to get default, and other desperate measures.  If I leave the name field as blank, then I can at least use my SQLEXPRESS (05) version -- but no matter how I try to tell VS2008 the name of my SQL EXPRESS 2008, it only complains that SQL Express 05 is not functioning properly.

I remain suspicious that this problem is caused by my upgrading of VS and SQL Express and some registry entry is pushing VS 2008 to a default server location when I use Solution Explorer to add a *.mdf file -- recall that Server Explorer works fine.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:35 AM
  • woa, a little late on this one. My question is does Visual Studio 2005 Standard have a patch or different service pack to make it compatable with SQL 2008 Express? Thank You
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to ask you about my problem that is...

If i Want to create a Database From Visual Studio 2008 Environment then it will make it for me but i couldn't able to interact with that particular database, none of my querie works in this scenario...

On the  other hand if i make a database with sql server 2008 seperately through sql server 2008 management tools and then run it with my visual studio 2008 all Works Fine ...

So what is the problem of visual studio 2008 that it doesn't run with the database created by its own environment.......

Regard's

M.Azeem Ahmad 

M.Azeem
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Are you installing on a 32 bit or 64 bit platform? I have had issues with this, and the web platform updater does not seem to locate whether there is an installation in either folder. I think that it installs the 32 bit version of SQLEXPRESS 05 by default yet other installer notice that the system maybe 64 bit and load to another location.

I believe this to be a major Microsoft bug that needs a hot fix patch to clean up and standardize. The problem is that there are signifcant impacts on already deployed solutions.

• Edited by march111 Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:04 PM