none
Saving something over a network? RRS feed

• Question

• How could I save something over a network with small basic? Would be useful for high scores and such
    Friday, February 12, 2010 7:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• What sort of network are you thinking of in particular?

If the network drive is mapped to a drive letter, then that's just the same as saving locally.

If you want to save a score onto a website high-score chart, you'll need to have a script file on the website that waits for scores and names to be submitted to it. Using SmallBasic's web browsing capabilities, that would be fairly straighforward - as long as you had webspace that lets you run PHP or some other script, and your website has a database it can store to. (Other options include having a perl script, etc. to store the name/score directly into a text file on the server or something.)

If you just want to store it onto a shared folder on another PC or server somewhere... erm, I dunno, haven't tested it, but I'd expect to just give the save location as the full network path.

Depends on what you're thinking of?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:24 AM
  • You can.
    Yes, but you'd have to know some php as well
    And how to write to a file using php.
    As of right now You cannot use FTP with small basic.
    If you know PhP, then your set and good to go.
    Write a script what when u put text in the url
    ex: http://example.com/?write=text saved to file
    then the "text saved to file" gets saved to the file of your choice todays date or what ever you'd like
    If you dont know PhP, I sugest you look at these pages:
    http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_date.asp (if you want to saved the file as a date)
    • Proposed as answer by Dapezboy Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by litdevModerator Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:09 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:40 AM
  • You Can Use FTP.UploadFile In The Fremy Extension For Small basic
    Signature: Phillip Mikesell
    • Proposed as answer by phillips101 Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:04 AM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:00 AM
    But first you would want to do an ftp download to grab the existing file off the website, then update it, then ftp it back to the website again.

You would also, somehow, have to take account of multiple files attempting to be ftp'd at the same time.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 12:17 PM
    But first you would want to do an ftp download to grab the existing file off the website, then update it, then ftp it back to the website again.

You would also, somehow, have to take account of multiple files attempting to be ftp'd at the same time.
    You can also use FTP.DownloadFile , i have never used the ftp feature in small basic fc extension.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:06 PM