none
Cannot uninstall remove .net framwork 3.0 and 3.5 fixes after base uninstalled RRS feed

• Question

• I uninstalled the base framework.net 3.0 and 3.5 products. But the a .net framework 3.0 hot fix and  .net framework 3.5 SP1 are still there. I cannot remove these nor can I reinstall the base products. How do I remove this hot fix and SP?
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:39 AM

Answers

• I have an answer to my problem. It turns out that Microsoft Update successfully installed the latest SPs to both .Net Framework 3.0 and 3.5, and the problems solved themselves.

Thanks to all who tried to help me, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Ken Friedman
    • Marked as answer by Ken I Friedman Friday, December 25, 2009 3:33 PM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hello Ken,

Usually we could go to control panel to remove the hotfix, etc. The detailed steps depend on the OS.

Windows 2000 - Add/Remove ProgramsWindows 2000, Windows XP RTM, Windows XP SP1, Windows Server 2003 RTM

1. Click Start
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Open Add/Remove Programs
    4. Select hot fix and SP1, and click Change/Remove

Windows XP - Add or Remove ProgramsWindows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1

1. Click Start
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Open Add or Remove Programs
    4. Check Show updates if not already checked
    5. Select hot fix and SP1, and click Remove

Vista - View installed updatesWindows Vista

1. Click Start
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Click Programs
    4. Click View installed updates
    5. Select hot fix and SP1, and click Uninstall

More information about it, you can refer to the following article:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2006/12/18/uninstall-visual-studio-2005-service-pack-1-beta-before-installing-the-release.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:37 AM
  • I cannot remove the hotfix. i get an error message that says, "This action is only valid for products already installed." I removed 3.0 using add removed programs but it did not remove the hotfix.

Is there another way to SAFELY remove the hotfix?

Ken Friedman
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hello Ken,

You may utilize the .NET Framework cleanup tool to see if it can help you resolve this issue. As when choosing to remove any of the corresponding versions of the .NET Framework, the cleanup tool will also remove any associated hotfixes and service packs.  You do not need to run any separate steps to remove the service pack(s) for a version of the .NET Framework.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:55 AM
  • I tried the .net framework cleanup tool before. it did not work. I'll try it again to remove .net Framwork 3.0 and see if works. I'll let you know what happened.

Ken Friedman
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:11 AM
  • I tried to remove all the fixes for .net Framework 3.0 and 3.5 using the .net Framework Cleanup tool and restarted the system each time for each product. It did not remove anything. The Control Panel --> Add/Remove screen still shows the base product with just the fixes.

Is there another way to accomplish what I want?

Ken Friedman
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I have an answer to my problem. It turns out that Microsoft Update successfully installed the latest SPs to both .Net Framework 3.0 and 3.5, and the problems solved themselves.

Thanks to all who tried to help me, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Ken Friedman
    • Marked as answer by Ken I Friedman Friday, December 25, 2009 3:33 PM
    Friday, December 25, 2009 3:33 PM