frxtray shows 'inactive - unknown status: 4294967295' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

just started implementing FSLogix, but I can't get the frxtray app working. It shows a yellow stoplight and profile status is being reported as 'inactive - unknown status: 4294967295'. However, everything seems to be working fine though. Running a RDS/Citrix XenApp 1906 environment with Citrix UPM not active for the test users who are using FSLogix.

Any idea?

Frank

• Edited by FrancWW Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:38 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

that's not the case here. Especially, since it only happens on one machine. When I logon with the same account on a different machine, the tray app works fine. Both machine are part of the same AD domain.

Frank.

Well, actually the fact that it is only happening on a single machine is exactly what we saw reported before.  So if you have a local user, and an AD user with the same name on that host but not on the other hosts, or a computer name on that host that matches your user name.  So the fact that it is only a single host having this issue is what made me think this way.  In any case we could likely identify the issue with a procmon output of the tray tool reading the session data from the registry on that host.  We would expect it to be failing to be showing this behavior. If the failure is because it looks for a SID that does not exist, then we need to understand what the SID it is using points to, if it is failing with an access denied or something like that then we have a different issue. 
    • Marked as answer by FrancWW Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:57 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:50 AM

All replies

• Thanks so much for asking.  The tray tool shows the status of the FSLogix profile container.  If you are using one of the other features such as Office Containers or application management then that status indicator is not a reflection of the components you are using.

You can confirm that your status is shown correctly by checking in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\FSLogix\Profiles\Sessions\<your user's SID> for a value called Status.  This is the value the tray tool is reading for this indicator.  There have been some reported instances of the Status value being deleted as a volatile registry value by third party applications, so if your Status value is missing while your user is still logged in you may want to look at what other applications may be manipulating the registry.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:48 PM
  • Hi,

the 'Status' key has a value of 0. The profile container is loaded and active. I can see the VHDX attached and also have a local_<username> folder present.

When logging on to a different XenApp server, the FrxTray app is working fine. It does show the profile is active and displays the size of the profile. Only when logging on one specific server, the tray app is not working.

Frank.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:00 PM
  • Hi,

the 'Status' key has a value of 0. The profile container is loaded and active. I can see the VHDX attached and also have a local_<username> folder present.

When logging on to a different XenApp server, the FrxTray app is working fine. It does show the profile is active and displays the size of the profile. Only when logging on one specific server, the tray app is not working.

Frank.

I have only seen this issue reported in the past in very rare cases where the username matches some other AD object.  For example the user name and computer name are the same.  In this case the query for the SID returns something other than the user SID, and we query the wrong (or a nonexistent) session key. Is this possibly your scenario?  If so we have a fix already in our code for next release (the change is from Nov) where we now get the sid a different way that will not have this issue.  If you believe that this may be what you are seeing please open a support case, and ask them for a test build containing that fix.  Then we can confirm that this fix is working for your specific scenario.

• Edited by Brian Mann1 Friday, December 20, 2019 9:14 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2019 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

that's not the case here. Especially, since it only happens on one machine. When I logon with the same account on a different machine, the tray app works fine. Both machine are part of the same AD domain.

Frank.

Friday, December 20, 2019 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

Frank.

Well, actually the fact that it is only happening on a single machine is exactly what we saw reported before.  So if you have a local user, and an AD user with the same name on that host but not on the other hosts, or a computer name on that host that matches your user name.  So the fact that it is only a single host having this issue is what made me think this way.  In any case we could likely identify the issue with a procmon output of the tray tool reading the session data from the registry on that host.  We would expect it to be failing to be showing this behavior. If the failure is because it looks for a SID that does not exist, then we need to understand what the SID it is using points to, if it is failing with an access denied or something like that then we have a different issue. 
    • Marked as answer by FrancWW Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:57 AM
    Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:50 AM
  • The other option would be to have you open the support ticket to get a test build.  Then we would know if our fix for this will work for you.
    Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:52 AM
  • Bingo, that was the case. I had a local user on that machine that had the same login name as my AD account.

Once I deleted the local user, the tray application works fine again.

Thanks!

Frank.

Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:57 AM
  • Bingo, that was the case. I had a local user on that machine that had the same login name as my AD account.

Once I deleted the local user, the tray application works fine again.

Thanks!

Frank.

Thank you!
    Saturday, December 21, 2019 1:02 AM