security in sql server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

Suppose if i change the db owner ,this will affect any users.

Recently i faced one issue that is i have changed only db owner access particuler database,after one user called and they said users are unable to connect the server.

here why mapping was changed ,we need to prepare RCA for this.

Could you please give some solution to me,so that i can prepare RCA for production database.

Regards

Satya

when they are to login

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:00 PM

Answers

• OK. This uses the sp_changedbowner procedure. this procedure should *not* remove users from the database. You need to determine exactly what happened, i.e., why the users not cannot connect. Based on that one can take the troubleshooting to the next level.

Unless you use a really really old functionality called user aliases (the ability to have several logins aliased to the same user in the database). Sp_changedbowner will remove aliases. However, this is a veru old feature and was deprecated 1998.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:31 PM

All replies

• How did you change the owner of the database. Did you use the sp_changedbowner Stored Procedure?

Suhas De
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please mark solved if your question is completely answered; vote it as helpful to help others find a solution quicker.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:13 PM
  • simply go to database properties-options,chnaged
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I see no such setting in the "Options" page of the "Database Properties" dialog.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:47 PM
  • I Have chnaged db owner in properties-files
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:20 PM
  • OK. This uses the sp_changedbowner procedure. this procedure should *not* remove users from the database. You need to determine exactly what happened, i.e., why the users not cannot connect. Based on that one can take the troubleshooting to the next level.

Unless you use a really really old functionality called user aliases (the ability to have several logins aliased to the same user in the database). Sp_changedbowner will remove aliases. However, this is a veru old feature and was deprecated 1998.

• Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:04 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:31 PM