Rotated video causing occasional problems (MS bug?)

Question

• Hi,

I'm working on an app that rotates a video file on export.  Most of the resulting videos work fine on most platforms, but certain large videos are crashing apps on the Samsung Slate.  (It crashes both my app and the xbox video app when I try to open it on the slate.  It will play on WMP, but has some odd pixellation.)  Using the remote debugger, I was able to produce the following exceptions:

First-chance exception at 0x76AD4B32 in <appname>.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: _com_error at memory location 0x0B52E514.
    First-chance exception at 0x77C81141 (ntdll.dll) in <appname>.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
    Unhandled exception at 0x77C81141 (ntdll.dll) in <appname>.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

So it looks like there's a null pointer being dereferenced somewhere.  Looking at the stack trace, the exception is in ntdll.dll!_TppWorkerThread@4():

combase.dll!CoTaskMemAlloc
    ntdll.dll!@RtlpLowFragHeapAllocFromContext@16()     
    ntdll.dll!_RtlAllocateHeap@12()     
    combase.dll!CoTaskMemAlloc(unsigned long stcb) Line 459     
    mfplat.dll!CMFAttributesImpl<struct IMFSample,class CMFSRWLock>::SetBlob(struct _GUID const &,unsigned char const *,unsigned int)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMPEG4Stream::CStreamParser::InPlaceTransformSample(void)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMPEG4Stream::CStreamParser::ProcessCompleteSample(void)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMPEG4Stream::CStreamParser::ProcessNextSample(void)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMPEG4Stream::ParseData(struct IMFMediaBuffer *,unsigned __int64,int)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMPEG4Demux_Interleaved::ParseData(struct IMFMediaBuffer *,unsigned __int64,unsigned long,struct _MF_MEDIASOURCE_PLUGIN_STREAM_BUFFER_STATE *,unsigned __int64 *)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMPEG4MediaSourcePlugin::ParseData(struct IMFMediaBuffer *,unsigned __int64,unsigned long,struct _MF_MEDIASOURCE_PLUGIN_STREAM_BUFFER_STATE *,unsigned __int64 *)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMFByteStreamMediaSource::OnByteStreamReadDataInternal(struct IMFMediaBuffer *,unsigned long)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMFByteStreamMediaSource::OnByteStreamReadData(struct IMFAsyncResult *)     
    mfmp4srcsnk.dll!CMFByteStreamMediaSource::OnByteStreamReadDataAsyncCallback::Invoke(struct IMFAsyncResult *)     
    mfplat.dll!CSerialWorkQueue::QueueItem::ExecuteWorkItem(struct IMFAsyncResult *)     
    mfplat.dll!CSerialWorkQueue::QueueItem::OnWorkItem(struct IMFAsyncResult *)     
    mfplat.dll!CSerialWorkQueue::QueueItem::OnWorkItemAsyncCallback::Invoke(struct IMFAsyncResult *)     
    mfplat.dll!CSerialWorkQueue::`vector deleting destructor'(unsigned int)     
    mfplat.dll!GetThreadData(unsigned long)     
    ntdll.dll!_TppTimerpExecuteCallback@8()     
    ntdll.dll!_TppWorkerThread@4()     
    kernel32.dll!@BaseThreadInitThunk@12()     
    ntdll.dll!___RtlUserThreadStart@8()     
    ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart@8()     

Looks like it's a problem allocating the memory?  Is there an issue with the video memory that MediaElement isn't dealing with properly?  Something else?  

Any suggestions on where I might add a try-catch to at least fail more gracefully on these clips?

Any input on what the issue is would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Andrea

Andrea Mantler

Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:51 AM

Answers

• I've been working with Andrea on this matter.  The culprit is the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver.  I'm asked Andrea to contact Intel and/or Samsung to report this bug and request an update.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, January 14, 2013 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, I will involve more experts to investigate it.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:58 AM
  • Hi Andrea,

When it crashes the Xbox Music app does it crash with the same call stack?  Can you provide the Video that crashes the apps?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:43 PM
  • I tried attaching VS to the Xbox Video App, and got the error:  "Unable to attach to the process.  Script debugging is not enabled for WWAHoste.exe.  Click Help for more information."  Then it gives me a choice of OK or Help.  Is there another way to get the call stack for the Video app?

I can provide the video... how can I get it to you?

Thanks for looking into this!

Andrea Mantler

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hi Andrea,

Email me from here and I will make arrangements:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jpsanders/contact.aspx

Thanks!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Thanks!  Will send an e-mail now.

Andrea Mantler

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:09 PM
  • I've been working with Andrea on this matter.  The culprit is the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver.  I'm asked Andrea to contact Intel and/or Samsung to report this bug and request an update.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, January 14, 2013 2:51 PM