Is it possible to install Windows DNS Server on VM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I would like to set up my own DNS Server on my windows VM, is this currently possible?

I am seeing that my IP settings are set to automatically get IP and DNS settings from DHCP I am not sure if this will allow a DNS server to be run on the machine without some modifications?

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:45 AM

Answers

• Hey Cignacio,

It is possible to set up a DNS Server using a Windows Azure VM, however, you must use virtual networks to do it. When using virtual networks, you can specify given subnets for your virtual machines for when they deploy. Then, once they are deployed, you will keep a static IP address (DHCP will consitently supply that VM the same IP).

The one important catch is that you cannot use static networking settings and must rely upon DHCP to supply the appropriate information. This also requires you to configure the DNS IP as part of your virtual network so it is supplied using DHCP.

You can find more information that will help set this up here: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/services/networking/replica-domain-controller/

We are also working on a HowTo describing setting up a DNS Server in Windows Azure, without using AD.

Corey

• Proposed as answer by Corey Sanders [MSFT] Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by JamesYi Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:58 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:53 AM
  • Hi,

YOu can follow the DNCconfiguration wizard in Windows Server to configur the VM you already deployed as a DNS server. The VM must be in a virtual network. Please refer to http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/services/networking/add-a-vm-to-a-virtual-network/ for instructions on how to deploy a new VM in a VNet. An alternate approach is to capture a VM and redeploy it into a VNet. THis can be done using Powershell. Please refer to this Wiki for more info.

DNS servers are configured as recursive resolvers by default. SO you should be able to resolve public services by default. If you want to run the VM as a DNS service, you can define endpoints to open up TCP and UDP port 53.

Thanks,

Ganesh Srinivasan

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hey Cignacio,

It is possible to set up a DNS Server using a Windows Azure VM, however, you must use virtual networks to do it. When using virtual networks, you can specify given subnets for your virtual machines for when they deploy. Then, once they are deployed, you will keep a static IP address (DHCP will consitently supply that VM the same IP).

The one important catch is that you cannot use static networking settings and must rely upon DHCP to supply the appropriate information. This also requires you to configure the DNS IP as part of your virtual network so it is supplied using DHCP.

You can find more information that will help set this up here: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/services/networking/replica-domain-controller/

We are also working on a HowTo describing setting up a DNS Server in Windows Azure, without using AD.

Corey

• Proposed as answer by Corey Sanders [MSFT] Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:54 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 1:53 AM
  • Thank you for the response. My VM is already deployed, do I have to re deploy to set up a virtual network?

I am wanting to set up DNS for internet name resolution, not for a private network, do I still need to set up a Virtual Network for this? Can't I just use the IP provided to the VM and set a public endpoint for DNS server connecitivity?

• Edited by cignacio Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:24 AM
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Hi,

YOu can follow the DNCconfiguration wizard in Windows Server to configur the VM you already deployed as a DNS server. The VM must be in a virtual network. Please refer to http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/services/networking/add-a-vm-to-a-virtual-network/ for instructions on how to deploy a new VM in a VNet. An alternate approach is to capture a VM and redeploy it into a VNet. THis can be done using Powershell. Please refer to this Wiki for more info.

DNS servers are configured as recursive resolvers by default. SO you should be able to resolve public services by default. If you want to run the VM as a DNS service, you can define endpoints to open up TCP and UDP port 53.

Thanks,

Ganesh Srinivasan

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:02 PM