none
Any gotchas to look out for going from BIOS to UEFI? RRS feed

• Question

• Today I find myself in the curious state of needing to make the big step to UEFI (for a certain 4K tablet) and I am wondering if in System Image Manager there are any gotchas I need to look out for besides the disk format?

I'm not planning on a recovery image, if it gets hosed, it will be a flatten&rebuild. Nor am I read for IoT but that's ok, I don't think it is ready for anyone either.

So, beyond "Disk partitioning." (SIM has no option to specify GPT) is there anything else I should look out for?

=^x^=

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:40 AM

Answers

• I had a project on Industry 8.1 x86 on a real hardware with UEFI recently.

1. Create EFI, MSR and primary partitions in your answer file and format the EFI and primary partitions. Don't forget about InstallTo option to specify system partition number. The disk will be GPT automatically.

2. Use an appropriate OS image architecture (depends on UEFI, not necessarily the same as CPU architecture). If you use wrong architecture, OS installer disk just won't boot.

3. If you have any problems with SecureBoot, try to put it into Custom mode. In my case it was not necessary.

That's it, nothing else in answer file.

• Proposed as answer by Sergey Antonovich Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by P 'Bunny' E Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:47 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:44 AM

All replies

• SecureBoot might be an issue. Is the tablet comping to you without OS or is Windows 8.1 or 10 already installed?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:34 PM
  • At the moment, the one I have is W8.1 Pro. 

I think the plan is to start gently with maybe 30 of these enormous surfboards. I'll probably have to ask them nicely for help if it goes beyond that. Several hundred was mentioned but these are ridiculously expensive...

First I need to master UEFI and getting our application to work without being a member of Administrators (mentioning no names, Gesture Filter, I am looking at you.) 

Then there is the mystery of: "System Stabilization Utility" and "HID Drivers for Panasonic PC" but that is quite a way down the road. 

=^x^=

Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:56 AM
  • I had a project on Industry 8.1 x86 on a real hardware with UEFI recently.

1. Create EFI, MSR and primary partitions in your answer file and format the EFI and primary partitions. Don't forget about InstallTo option to specify system partition number. The disk will be GPT automatically.

2. Use an appropriate OS image architecture (depends on UEFI, not necessarily the same as CPU architecture). If you use wrong architecture, OS installer disk just won't boot.

3. If you have any problems with SecureBoot, try to put it into Custom mode. In my case it was not necessary.

That's it, nothing else in answer file.

• Proposed as answer by Sergey Antonovich Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by P 'Bunny' E Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:47 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:44 AM