Clustered Index keys are Stored in Data Page Header RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I am trying to know, Index Keys storage.

After creating the Clustered Index on a table, so data pages are stored in B+ Tree way.. is my understanding correct ?

If it is correct , Clustered Index key values are stored in Header of Data page ?

Please help me to Understand correctly, i am getting confusion by seeing all crash Course Website :)

Regards,

Raviteja

(Habituated by writing unnecessary mails)

Friday, March 8, 2019 7:14 AM

Answers

• No, the leaf of the tree *is* the data. the data for all columns are in the index (leaf). The leaf = the data. But the data isn't in the page *header*. It is in the data-area of the page.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

• Marked as answer by RavitejaMaybe Friday, March 8, 2019 12:56 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2019 12:44 PM

All replies

• Are you asking if the *value* of the clustered key is stored in the header? No, that wouldn't make sense, since you have many rows on a page, and rows with different values for the clustering key (just imagine a primary key, which you cluster over).

Or, are you asking if *what column* is the index key is stored in the page header (the ID for the column)? No, the id for the index key(s) isn't stored in the page header either.

• Marked as answer by RavitejaMaybe Friday, March 8, 2019 12:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RavitejaMaybe Friday, March 8, 2019 12:09 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Thanks for rely, understood your point. Please confirm below understanding.

• Cluster Index create on a table means.. one Index Page created (all index keys maintain in B+ tree manner) in data file
    • Leaf level in B+ Tree having Data page address. 

Thank you again 

Friday, March 8, 2019 12:07 PM
  • No, the leaf of the tree *is* the data. the data for all columns are in the index (leaf). The leaf = the data. But the data isn't in the page *header*. It is in the data-area of the page.

• Marked as answer by RavitejaMaybe Friday, March 8, 2019 12:56 PM
    Friday, March 8, 2019 12:44 PM