Configuring Biztalk doubt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I'm installing Biztalk and I'm using two servers, One server with sql standard 2016 and one server with Biztalk 2016 standard. this server will be use for EDI and AS2 but when I'm installing BAM I got a error,

do I need to have BAM ? 

How can i solve this issue? 

Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:56 PM

Answers

• No, you don't necessarily need BAM. What is the error message?    
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:57 PM
  • BAM stands for Business Activity Monitoring and it a feature in BizTalk which allows you to track the Flow of any BizTalk application in terms of Milestones and key data points. Consider BAM a reporting tool for BizTalk.

BAM internally functions based upon several databases and SQL services. The main two databases for BAM are BAMPrimaryImport and BAMArchive. The BAMPrimaryImport holds the data which is passed from the Message Box Database by the TDDS service. While the archive database contains the data that is archived.

Now To move and clean the data from Primary Import database, BizTalk uses the SSIS packages. Hence while configuring BAM you require the SSIS component of the SQL installed on your sql server. 

As mentioned earlier, BAM is completely optional and if you do not require it, you do not need to configure it. But if you are planning on using BAM for your environment, I would suggest you to use SSIS as well as SSAS.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Friday, March 23, 2018 3:04 AM
  • As per the error message, you need to install Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Integration Services.  This is bundled with SQL server, but needs to be installed.  SSIS is a useful integration tool that allows you to perform ETL tasks.  It is handy for an integration developer to have exposure to it as it is better suited to SQL related batch jobs than say BizTalk.

As the other posts, BAM allows you to record business related data into a database for querying.  It requires you explicitly design and develop BAM activities and views to store and display your data.

You do not need to configure it if you do not have any current plans to make use of BAM functionality, and you're free to configure it later down the line if it is something you wish to make use of.

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)
    Read my articles on: BizTalk | .NET

Saturday, March 24, 2018 6:58 PM

All replies

• No, you don't necessarily need BAM. What is the error message?    
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 11:57 PM
  • Here it goes the error,

TITLE: Microsoft BizTalk Server Configuration Wizard
    ------------------------------

Microsoft SQL Server Data Transformation Services (DTS) 2016 or higher for BAM Archiving is not installed on the local machine.  Please install Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Integration Services. (Sql2016)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp?ProdName=Microsoft+BizTalk+Server+2016&ProdVer=3.12.774.0&EvtSrc=Sql2016&EvtID=error_DTS2016Archive

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp?ProdName=Microsoft+BizTalk+Server+2016&ProdVer=3.12.774.0&EvtSrc=Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper&EvtID

BUTTONS:

OK

Friday, March 23, 2018 12:12 AM
  • BAM stands for Business Activity Monitoring and it a feature in BizTalk which allows you to track the Flow of any BizTalk application in terms of Milestones and key data points. Consider BAM a reporting tool for BizTalk.

BAM internally functions based upon several databases and SQL services. The main two databases for BAM are BAMPrimaryImport and BAMArchive. The BAMPrimaryImport holds the data which is passed from the Message Box Database by the TDDS service. While the archive database contains the data that is archived.

Now To move and clean the data from Primary Import database, BizTalk uses the SSIS packages. Hence while configuring BAM you require the SSIS component of the SQL installed on your sql server. 

As mentioned earlier, BAM is completely optional and if you do not require it, you do not need to configure it. But if you are planning on using BAM for your environment, I would suggest you to use SSIS as well as SSAS.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Friday, March 23, 2018 3:04 AM
  • As per the error message, you need to install Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Integration Services.  This is bundled with SQL server, but needs to be installed.  SSIS is a useful integration tool that allows you to perform ETL tasks.  It is handy for an integration developer to have exposure to it as it is better suited to SQL related batch jobs than say BizTalk.

As the other posts, BAM allows you to record business related data into a database for querying.  It requires you explicitly design and develop BAM activities and views to store and display your data.

You do not need to configure it if you do not have any current plans to make use of BAM functionality, and you're free to configure it later down the line if it is something you wish to make use of.

If this is helpful or answers your question - please mark accordingly.
    Because I get points for it which gives my life purpose (also, it helps other people find answers quickly)
    Read my articles on: BizTalk | .NET

Saturday, March 24, 2018 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

Run the installation of SQL Server and add feature of Integration services and Analysis services in it, as stated by all BAM is optional so install if you are need to track and capture your business related data.

Regards,

Rahul Madaan

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:47 AM