none
Should DepthCameraIntrinsics::FocalLengthX & FocalLengthY be the same values? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I'm experimenting with using Kinect v2 sensor to measure physical objects using the depth camera and some computer vision apis.

I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is a possible bug in the SDK...the CameraIntrinsics instance returned from CoordinateMapper.GetDepthCameraIntrinsics() has the same value for both the FocalLengthX and FocalLengthY properties: 366.3543.

As the depth camera's aspect ratio isn't 1:1, I would expect differing values for X & Y here. I suppose I could perform a manual calibration, but I'd prefer to use the APIs provided where possible.

If it helps, I'm using C#.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Paul

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:10 AM

Answers

• Can you try another sensor and get a similar result? Since every sensor is different in some way, the values should vary between each sensor. The value will be different in some way from sensor to sensor due to final calibration done at the factory.

Have you tried this in both managed and c++ samples to get similar results? Can you provide a copy/paste of the code you are using?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:39 PM

All replies

• Can you try another sensor and get a similar result? Since every sensor is different in some way, the values should vary between each sensor. The value will be different in some way from sensor to sensor due to final calibration done at the factory.

Have you tried this in both managed and c++ samples to get similar results? Can you provide a copy/paste of the code you are using?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:39 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

Thanks for the response. As I don't have another sensor to test with, I instead attempted a manual calibration using this utility and was pleasantly surprised to see that with the more samples I took, the closer the calibration values were converging on the intrinsic values returned from the API.

So it seems the values are likely correct and it's merely coincidental that they match to 4 decimal places :)

Saturday, February 28, 2015 6:56 PM