Looking for best way to automatically determine if employee is Teleworking or In-the-Office RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

To reduce virus exposure, a large organization has 50% of its workforce working one-day-teleworking, one-day-"in-office." As expected, conflicts occur and employees are allowed to arrange their T or I schedules according to their needs; however, organizational leadership requires a real-time status of either T or I for each employee.

Currently, there is a SharePoint solution where employees visit a page and set a status. If the employee's status changes from In-Office to Telework throughout the day, the employee is expected to return to the app and change their status.

This has become a pain.

The organization has its own domain. When working In-office, the employee logs in from a workstation on the organizational domain. When teleworking, employees are accessing the organizational domain externally.

Is there not some DNS log which can be provided to SharePoint via a data connection that can provide this information each time a user attempts to login?

Monday, July 20, 2020 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi rlntel,

The suitable way to determine if employee is Telework or In Office status is to check the user's login IP Address.

The IP In the compay Office should be different with Teleworking, you can use JavaScript code to get the login Employee's IP:

How to get client's IP address using JavaScript?

Then you can store the IP Information and login user name into a SharePoint list using Rest API:

Create SharePoint List Items Using REST API

Thanks

Best Regards

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

• Proposed as answer by Eusha Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:43 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:29 AM
  • Hello,

I should have mentioned. Our remote sessions (and even those sessions initiated from workstations within the domain), we use a virtual connection - Citrix. This led me to think of the DNS logs.

Will your solution still work?

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 11:19 AM
  • Hello rlntel,

No matter how users connect remotly into Comany Organization, the IP address should be different when they are in Office or at home.

The solution posted above is to check IP Address so distinguish their status.

SharePoint can be regarded as a Storage, when user visit SharePoint Portal, check IP Address and then save into List so that it could be eaily filter every day.

Thanks

Best Reagrds

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:36 AM