The ability to use 127.0.0.1 / localhost without getting Internet access

Question

• Is it possible for a Metro style application to access port 127.0.0.1 without asking the user for "Internet" access?

I suspect it isn't - if port 127.0.0.1 / localhost is that much of a security hole that user permission is required can I please request you split the authorization into two parts - one for general app access to the big bad world and one to port localhost/127.0.0.1

Thanks and Regards

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:58 PM

All replies

• as Metro is sandboxed and you can't even access the Processes running on your computer, I don't think you can access the localhost either without asking permission to do so. I tried making an email application, but sending mails wasn't supported yet either by the WinRT framework.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:24 PM
  • @Dylan

Thanks for the response - it isn't so much asking for access as the fact when asking you get both access to localhost *and* Internet

Given the way an app can be suspended (and yes, I know there are Background capabilities) but it seems to make sense to split my apps into a service (running all the time) and a client GUI that talks to the service either locally (typical user story) or over a LAN/WAN

Best Regards

Mark

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:23 PM