Approaches for creating a big UI Form-using SP Designer 2010 Custom ListForm or Visual Studio 2010 with Sandbox solution RRS feed

• Question

•  I've been given a excel sheet of 97 fields/columns, where I need to convert this sheet into a SharePoint 2010 UI form.Currently existing functionality is achieved by a project manager filling up the excel sheet and sending to the appropriate team.

Am thinking of implementing this as by creating a custom list form using SP Designer. I dont have access to central admin of my web application , am getting access upto  site collection admin only. 

Need advice on the below:

1) Can I go with sp designer approach of creating a custom list form with spservices,jquery and javascript.I am having a lot of validations on these 90+ odd fields and also need to trigger a workflow when few of the fields[ normally a  status choice field "in progress to completed" kind of] are getting changed.

or

2) Can I go with creating a  custom Visual Studio approach thus by creating a  sandbox solution and deploy it as wsp in solutions gallery.

Which approach is the best approach.

• Edited by SaMolPP Monday, January 4, 2016 1:40 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my opinion, both approaches are OK.

If your requirements are validation on fields and a workflow attached to this list, some client side scripts with a SharePoint Designer workflow would be capable. Another advantage is that, there are already many open source plugins on form design which are built with commonly used client side technology, they will save you lots of time during development.

Best regards,

Patrick

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SaMolPP Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

Here are some form validation plugins would be helpful to you:

http://www.sitepoint.com/10-jquery-form-validation-plugins/

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In my opinion, both approaches are OK.

If your requirements are validation on fields and a workflow attached to this list, some client side scripts with a SharePoint Designer workflow would be capable. Another advantage is that, there are already many open source plugins on form design which are built with commonly used client side technology, they will save you lots of time during development.

Best regards,

Patrick

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:35 AM
  • hi Patrick,

Thanks for your time.

there are already many open source plugins on form design which are built with commonly used client side technology, they will save you lots of time during development.

Can you pls guide me on those list of open source plugins and their links where I can design the form.

Myself trying to find the same, too. 

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

Here are some form validation plugins would be helpful to you:

http://www.sitepoint.com/10-jquery-form-validation-plugins/

Best regards,

Patrick

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:00 AM