Error message “MSBuild.exe is not a valid Win32 application” is shown while trying to build using MSBuild.exe. RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Do you come across the same error hint as the link you provide us? In other worlds, like "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe"?

If so, please check if the MSBuild.exe that shows in the error message is ok. I guess there is something wrong with your framework. You can compare the properties of the MSBuild.exe with other who has netframwwork installed. For example, it's size, digital signature and other attributes. You can repair it first if need.

What's more, please read this thread What is the difference between Microsoft.NET\Framework and Microsoft.NET\Framework64?

"x86" will compile to 32-bit which works on all platforms, and "x64" will compile to 64-bit which only works on 64-bit platforms."

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:24 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:58 AM

All replies

• Ok, it appears that the vs2012 command prompt is no longer working. My project as always been 64 bit and I noticed the path to vs2012 had x86 in it. So when I open a command prompt and navigate to the 64bit version (Framework64 folder) I can use msbuild. Why would this have changed???
    • Edited by chrislynn Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 2, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Do you come across the same error hint as the link you provide us? In other worlds, like "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe"?

If so, please check if the MSBuild.exe that shows in the error message is ok. I guess there is something wrong with your framework. You can compare the properties of the MSBuild.exe with other who has netframwwork installed. For example, it's size, digital signature and other attributes. You can repair it first if need.

What's more, please read this thread What is the difference between Microsoft.NET\Framework and Microsoft.NET\Framework64?

"x86" will compile to 32-bit which works on all platforms, and "x64" will compile to 64-bit which only works on 64-bit platforms."

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:24 AM
    Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:58 AM