Porting "C" Application to Windows RT tablet

Question

• Hi,

We have a Content Distribution networking "C" application which uses windows networking API from

wsock32.lib
    Ws2_32.lib
    Iphlpapi.lib

odbc32.lib
    odbccp32.lib

I downloaded Visual Studio 2012 and compile for Win32 it works.It also works on Windows 8 Desktop. Now my goal is to evaluate whether it will run on upcoming Windows Tablet on ARM architecture.

So I tried to compile the app with ARM, however it can not find above libraries.

Does this mean that I need to rewrite the modules which make use of the above libraries and make use of Windows Runtime Library.Niles

Nilesh.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:11 AM

Answers

• I think you have to rewrite those modules whose uses restricted/deprecated windows desktop APIs and now, no longer available for your target architecture. Otherwise your apps fail to pass the store certification.

As you mention that, your application uses typical windows networking API, so you have to use the  new networking APIs instead. First of all you should build your apps in the new SDK for your target architecture.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, October 29, 2012 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:47 AM

All replies

• Forgot to mention that the application does not have any User Interface and it runs in service mode in the background.

Also, in the past we have ported to Android platform using NDK where we compiled our app into library and then used Java wrapper to call "C" API.

Is something like this is possible for Windows ARM tablets ?

Nilesh.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:15 AM
  • I think you have to rewrite those modules whose uses restricted/deprecated windows desktop APIs and now, no longer available for your target architecture. Otherwise your apps fail to pass the store certification.

As you mention that, your application uses typical windows networking API, so you have to use the  new networking APIs instead. First of all you should build your apps in the new SDK for your target architecture.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, October 29, 2012 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:47 AM