none
Clock moves forward one hour on April 2nd, 2018 regardless of time zone setting on some systems. RRS feed

• Question

• I support a product that contains a computer running Windows Embedded Standard 7. I received numerous reports of the system clock erroneously moving forward one hour on April 2nd, 2018 between 2 AM and 3 AM. Based on the number of reports I received, this issue appears to happen on approximately 10% of customer systems.

I currently have one computer on which I can reproduce the problem. When I manually set the clock to April 1st, 2018, the system clock will always erroneously move forward one hour between 2 AM and 3 AM (local time) the next day. This happens regardless of which time zone is selected in Windows. It even occurs when I set the system to the Japanese time zone (where daylight savings time is not observed), and when I set the system to use the Sydney time zone (which uses daylight time when the northern hemisphere uses standard time). This issue also occurs even when the "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time" setting is disabled. I don't believe there is a time zone that switches to daylight saving time on April 2nd. The US used to switch to daylight saving time on the first Sunday in April, but April 2nd was a Monday.

I have reapplied our system image to the boot drive using ImageX and reformatted the other hard drive, but the issue remains. If I apply the same image to a different system with identical hardware (as far as I know), the issue does NOT occur.

I should also mention the that systems were used to try to reproduce the issue were not connected to any network. They were not able to communicate with a time server. As far as I know, the systems do not contain a radio clock or anything like that. I could not find any daylight saving time related BIOS settings on these systems.

So at this point I really don't know how to troubleshoot further. Is there a Windows patch that fixes an error like this that needs to be applied to the system? Why would the issue occur on one system but not on another system with identical hardware and software?

I would greatly appreciate help from anyone.

Friday, June 8, 2018 8:11 PM