none
Excel Addin : Workbook refresh with data mode , Error : The cartridge directory could not be found. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I had a 2013 32-bit excel (Professional edition) and I am developing an addin. In  this addin I refresh a excel workbook. This workbook has a Data Model. My OS was recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

When I was refreshing the workbook through code, it throws me an error :

"We couldn't get data from the Data Model."

The cartridge directory could not be found.  Use the Windows Installer to repair the application.  Exception of type 'Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.BackEnd.StorageException' was thrown."

I saw this link in MSDN forums and tried to install 32 bit of those Hotifixes mentioned in the link, but it said "The hotfix was already installed".

I thought that may be something got corrupt while upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10. So I uninstalled 32-bit of office and restarted machine. Then I installed the Office 64-bit Professional version.

I then again tried to install the 64 bit version of the hotfixes but again got message "There is no software to apply this hotfix".I tried to run the add in code again but it again threw the same error again. My 64-bit machine is a click and run version of office (I checked in registry based on a article).

I do not think for my new 64 bit office, no updates are applied. I am not sure what is causing the error. Please advise.

My question are:

1. Any suggestion what could be happening

2. In Click and Run version of office 2013 , how do I update (All updates available) that ? I do not see any way I can update.

3. Is this issue resolved in any SP or CU.

4. Any way to resolve this?

I am currently stuck with this. Note : It works when manually refreshing. Just throws error when doing this through C# code.

- Girija

Please mark responses as answered if it helped you.. This helps others... - Girija Shankar Beuria

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Girija,

It seems that the issue is related to PowerPivot.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Girija Beuria Friday, September 18, 2015 3:26 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Girija,

What’s the code that you used to refresh workbook?

Base on the error message, I would like to know do you use PowerPivot add-in.

Regards

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:47 AM
  • Hi Starain,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using PowerPivot. My excel version is 15.0.4745.1002.This workbook has a power pivot report and a power view report. There are model tables in model and behind the scene it is bound to Power Query.

I have tried all the below code approaches (I have written the pseudo code but these but all of them throw me error :

1. workbook.RefreshAll

2. For each (connection in workbook.connections()) { connection.Refresh() }

3. For each (modelTable in workbook.Model.ModelTables()) { modelTable.Refresh() }

Note: All of them work in case done manually.

- Girija

Please mark responses as answered if it helped you.. This helps others... - Girija Shankar Beuria

Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

What’s the result if there isn’t the power pivot report in the sheet?

Regards

Starain

Friday, August 28, 2015 5:15 AM
  • Hi Starain,

I did not get what you mean. Do you refer that I do not have the power view report or Power Pivot report? I have both in the excel sheet.

If I remove the Power View report, then also the same error comes. If I remove both then there is no need for models to be there :)

In normal connection (Normal Pivit table), it refreshes fine.

- Girija

Friday, August 28, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Hi Girija,

It seems that the issue is related to PowerPivot.

Regards

Starain

• Marked as answer by Girija Beuria Friday, September 18, 2015 3:26 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 7:09 AM
  • Starain,

Is this a bug in Excel ? Is there a hotfix or workaround for this ?

- Girija

Monday, August 31, 2015 12:52 PM