Data Model won't open RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a PowerPivot data model using Excel 2013.  It runs fine on my computer (the one where I built it), but will not open in other computers.  All computers have the same 64 bit version of PowerPivot 2013 and run on Windows 8.

The primary data model table contains about 170,000 rows, 20 raw data columns, 2 calculated columns, 30 calculated fields (measures), and there are also a couple of small linked-back data tables with relationships to the primary table.  The data model takes approximately 5 minutes to refresh using my computer when I click 'Update All' (pertains to linked-back tables) on the PowerPivot ribbon in Excel.  99% of that 5 minutes is spent reading the data.  However the refresh time is not really my concern, as the data model will not open at all on any other computer.

It might be worth mentioning that my data model utilizes the 'stdev.p' function (new to PowerPivot 2013).  However, I would not expect this to matter since all computers I am trying to run on have PowerPivot 2013.
    • Edited by user00568 Friday, January 23, 2015 3:55 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

• I appreciate everyone's help.

At this point, I have actually overhauled this report using Microsoft Access with basic Excel formulas as the front-end of the report.

Thanks again.

Monday, February 16, 2015 3:57 PM

All replies

• On the other machines, is Power Pivot Addin enabled; by default it's disabled?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, January 23, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Yes it is enabled on the machines I am trying to use it on.  I can open up the PowerPivot manager on these other machines when I open up a brand new workbook, but not when I try to open up this particular workbook's data model.  Also, I am not receiving any error message to indicate that the data model is corrupt; it just won't open but rather the PowerPivot window almost opens but never fully loads the data model.  It never even gets to the point where it begins reading the data or processing.
    Friday, January 23, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Any other ideas for User to try?

Thanks, everyone!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:15 PM
  • User, are you still looking for the answer?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:14 PM
  • What I have sometimes found, is that I have closed an Excel workbook with some Power Pivot data, and when I go back in I can not even see the Power Pivot Tab.

I then go into Task Manager and kill all Excel.exe instances that I can see.

I then open the Excel file again, and it opens as normal.

Possibly give that a try.

http://www.bidn.com/blogs/guavaq

Friday, February 13, 2015 5:53 AM
  • I appreciate everyone's help.

At this point, I have actually overhauled this report using Microsoft Access with basic Excel formulas as the front-end of the report.

Thanks again.

Monday, February 16, 2015 3:57 PM
  • It sometimes happens with 64bit version of PP.

32 bit is more stable. I had many cases of PowerPivot 64 bit not loaded and could not get good answer here why is it happens

You can check if other computers have 64bit Win installed. Users can use 64 PowerPivot on 32 bit systems so it can cause PP failures.

G.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Good to know -- thanks.
    Friday, February 27, 2015 1:51 AM
  • I am having this exact same problem.

It's gone.. and no where to be found on my laptop I work on.  I was able to open the file on another computer that has 2016 installed, and the data/file is still there.  However, I'm not able to access the data model / power query mode where tables are housed at on my computer.  Also, as a result, my charts are not able to be refreshed as they are based on the tables in power query.  

It is not listed in my add-ins.  Completely gone. If I try and re-install it, the installer recognizes I already have 2016 and is accessible by going to add ins and enabling it.  I have tried it, and it's not listed in the add-ins.  Nor do I have a tab, or the green little icon in my ribbon.  The icon I do have, it does nothing when I hit it (Manage Data Model)

Help.

J.Olson

Friday, December 8, 2017 8:20 PM