negative numbers sign RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

I have designed a form using a font of local script. In this font's character map, instead of '-' (dash or minus sign) another character is asigned to ascii code 45.

This is causing the negative numbers not being displayed properly. Can I change the default character that preceds the negative number in vfp?

Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:34 AM
    Answerer

Answers

• Not as far as I know. Numeric data is stored in VFP using Reverse Polish notation. The representation of a negative number is handled by the core processes and I don't think you can change what is used.

If you converted the number to a string you could then use CHRTRAN() to change the character in your strings (you can use TRANSFORM() or STR() or even PADL() to handle the conversion...)

Code Snippet

lcNum = TRANSFORM( numeric_value  )

lnNum = CHRTRAN( lcNum, CHR(45), CHR(XXX) )

Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:25 AM

All replies

• Not as far as I know. Numeric data is stored in VFP using Reverse Polish notation. The representation of a negative number is handled by the core processes and I don't think you can change what is used.

If you converted the number to a string you could then use CHRTRAN() to change the character in your strings (you can use TRANSFORM() or STR() or even PADL() to handle the conversion...)

Code Snippet

lcNum = TRANSFORM( numeric_value  )

lnNum = CHRTRAN( lcNum, CHR(45), CHR(XXX) )

Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Numeric data is stored in VFP using Reverse Polish notation.

There used to be a program on the British tv - maybe still is - , titled I didn't know that

Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:21 PM