How to restore a database backup taken from a SQL Server 2012 instance to SQL Server 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore a database backup taken from a SQL Server 2012 instance to my new SQL Server 2014 instance.  When I add the .bak through the Mgmt studio UI, it does not seem to find a backup set in the file so I cannot proceed (does not give me any errors though either.  I tried restoring through TSQL command but only got a database restore terminating abnormally error with no other details.  How can I restore this database to SQL 2014?

Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please examine SQL Server Error Log and share with us any error you can find. The following article may locate the log:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187109.aspx

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Alberto.  Getting  stack dump in SQL error log.  Restarted the instance and backup worked no problems.  

FYI- Running SQL 2014 RTM and Win Server 2012 (64-bit all) with all latest updates.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:05 AM
  • Hello,

If you are getting stack dumps on the SQL Server 2012 instance from where the backup file is getting created, please run CHECKDB against that database first.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:47 AM
  • I am trying to restore a database backup taken from a SQL Server 2012 instance to my new SQL Server 2014 instance.  When I add the .bak through the Mgmt studio UI, it does not seem to find a backup set in the file so I cannot proceed (does not give me any errors though either.  I tried restoring through TSQL command but only got a database restore terminating abnormally error with no other details.  How can I restore this database to SQL 2014?

Jason,

Other than creating .bak file, you can also copy the relevant .mdf & .ldf files into the folder similar to the below one like

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SS2014\MSSQL\DATA

after you've detached the database in SS 2012, and then attach them into SS 2014.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:57 AM
  • Hello Jason,

Please verify first if the backup file is valid, you can do this with RESTORE VERIFYONLY (Transact-SQL) and RESTORE HEADERONLY (Transact-SQL)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Monday, June 23, 2014 9:46 AM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:13 AM
  • And most important can we have the error message please which you got while executing Tsql query that would let us filter down the isssue and can help you better

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it.

My TechNet Wiki Articles

Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:38 AM
  • And do following things after restoration: Re-Run DBCC CHECKDB, make full backup of database, and test your backup. 

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:03 AM