none
Windows 8 toast notifications and app icon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an app that displays toast notifications on Windows 8 (and later) OS. I have followed the instructions in the following link to enable my app for toast notifications:

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsdesktop/Sending-toast-notifications-71e230a2/sourcecode?fileId=51046&pathId=1435720579

Everything is working as expected except for one issue: The icon for my app shows as blank (with only the background color and no image, a monochromatic square essentially) when I navigate to the notifications settings center of Windows 8: PC settings -> search and apps -> notifications.

The app tile on the Windows 8 "metro" desktop works fine, it is the tile inside the aforementioned notifications settings area that is showing up without an app icon.

Let me know if my question needs any clarification, but is there something that needs to be done, to properly show the app icon inside the notifications center?

Thanks,

Venkat

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Venkat,

>> The icon for my app shows as blank (with only the background color and no image, a monochromatic square essentially) when I navigate to the notifications settings center of Windows 8: PC settings -> search and apps -> notifications

I've tried this sample and set icon for it, as you mention, this app icon in the PC settings was just a pure color picture(Test on Win8.1), but all Store apps show its icon well.

I found that some desktop applications from Microsoft also have this phenomenon, for example, Microsoft Outlook client:

So I think this should be a default behavior on Win8 or Win8.1.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Venkat Gorla Friday, February 20, 2015 5:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Venkat,

>> The icon for my app shows as blank (with only the background color and no image, a monochromatic square essentially) when I navigate to the notifications settings center of Windows 8: PC settings -> search and apps -> notifications

I've tried this sample and set icon for it, as you mention, this app icon in the PC settings was just a pure color picture(Test on Win8.1), but all Store apps show its icon well.

I found that some desktop applications from Microsoft also have this phenomenon, for example, Microsoft Outlook client:

So I think this should be a default behavior on Win8 or Win8.1.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Venkat Gorla Friday, February 20, 2015 5:16 AM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:11 AM
  • Thanks Franklin.
    Friday, February 20, 2015 5:16 AM