How to interface with USB device connected to Win Mobile 6.5.3 device RRS feed

• General discussion

• Greetings all

I have a Win Mobile 6.5.3 device which I'd like to use to display data received from my car's ECU.

My car has a fully programmable ECU that is normally accessed via a Windows laptop. The car's ECU connects to a laptop computer via a USB cable. The software on the laptop interfaces with the ECU and can be used to monitor the car's performance and configure various parameters. Obviously this software is proprietary and developed by the ECU manufacturer. I'd now like to write software for the mobile to mainly use the mobile for heads-up display from data received from the car's ECU. Driving around with a laptop on the passenger's seat is not very practical, or safe.

I've already spoken to ECU manufacturer briefly and they say they can provide "the data stream that the ECU puts out". I have no idea where to even start doing some R&D for this and would appreciate any suggestions.

How do I interface via WM using C# to an external USB device? Is it even possible?

When I connect my laptop to my mobile phone, the phone prompts me to choose if I want to connect to Active Sync or Internet Sharing, so it is detecting a USB connection happening somehow...? How is that done?

Thanks in advance

Neville

Friday, December 24, 2010 9:13 AM

All replies

• Start by finding out whatever or not your device has USB host (as oppose to USB client most devices have). Your journey probably would end right at that stage because most devices don't. In fact I know of exactly 0 (zero) WM 6.5 mass market devices with it.

If it does then you would need a driver for that device - which is even less likely. However it is possible this specific device emulates serial port - in which case it might be possible to find standard driver.

Once you have both up and running you can interface with it using IOCLT or serial port IO.

What your phone does as it is connected to the laptop is not relevant as in this case laptop provides USB host and phone is just a client.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 24, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Thanks Ilya. Very helpful post, exactly what I needed. Also did not know about USB hosts vs clients but it makes perfect sense.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:29 AM