none
Problem with IDataObject.GetData RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to extract a snapshot of formated data in excel and save it to a separate file.  The following works.

MyExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

MyExcel.Workbooks.Open(MyInputPath & "\" & MyInputFilename)

myWrkBk = MyExcel.Workbooks(MyInputFilename)

For Each MyWrkSheet In myWrkBk.Worksheets

MyWrkSheet.Range("C3:L9").CopyPicture(Excel.XlPictureAppearance.xlScreen, Excel.XlCopyPictureFormat.xlBitmap)

SaveToBmp(OutputPath & "\tmp.bmp"

Next MywrkSheet

Private Sub SaveToBmp(ByVal Filename As String)

Dim img As Image

Dim data As IDataObject

data = Clipboard.GetDataObject

If data.GetDataPresent(DataFormats.Bitmap) Then

img = CType(data.GetData(DataFormats.Bitmap), Image)

img.Save(Filename)

End If

End Sub

But if I change the format to do it as a picture, and printer format the img object never get set

The img.save(Filename) give "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

For Each MyWrkSheet In myWrkBk.Worksheets

MyWrkSheet.Range("C3:L9").CopyPicture(Excel.XlPictureAppearance.xlPrinter, Excel.XlCopyPictureFormat.xlPicture)

SaveToWMF(OutputPath & "\tmp.wmf")    <- I had this line wrong, I just corrected it.

Next MywrkSheet

Private Sub SaveToWMF(ByVal Filename As String)

Dim img As Image

Dim data As IDataObject

data = Clipboard.GetDataObject

If data.GetDataPresent(DataFormats.Bitmap) Then

img = CType(data.GetData(DataFormats.MetafilePict), Image)

img.Save(Filename)

End If

Wednesday, December 6, 2006 8:01 PM

Answers

• That's not going to fly.  You ask the clipboard if it has image data available in the .bmp format.  It says "sure", then you ask for a MetaFile.  It says "no way" == null.  A bitmap can't be converted into a .wmf (or .emf), it is a fundamentally different format.  Bitmap graphics vs. vector graphics.   Excel might be a little too helpful here by converting the metafile into a bitmap for you.  Debug it by calling Clipboard.GetDataObject().GetFormats().  One of them might be metafile compatible...
    Wednesday, December 6, 2006 10:27 PM

All replies

• That's not going to fly.  You ask the clipboard if it has image data available in the .bmp format.  It says "sure", then you ask for a MetaFile.  It says "no way" == null.  A bitmap can't be converted into a .wmf (or .emf), it is a fundamentally different format.  Bitmap graphics vs. vector graphics.   Excel might be a little too helpful here by converting the metafile into a bitmap for you.  Debug it by calling Clipboard.GetDataObject().GetFormats().  One of them might be metafile compatible...
    Wednesday, December 6, 2006 10:27 PM
  • I did try the GetFormats and found that the

MyWrkSheet.Range("C3:L9").CopyPicture(Excel.XlPictureAppearance.xlPrinter, Excel.XlCopyPictureFormat.xlPicture)

does put a "EnhancedMetafile", "MetafilePict" format on the clipboard.  So I changed the code to be

MyMeta = data.GetData(DataFormats.EnhancedMetafile)

MyMeta.Save(Filename)

But it still gives me the same error.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 2:27 PM