Sharing current page from Windows Store app "Microsoft Reader" is not receiving properly? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a C# Windows 8.1 store app with Share Target declaration for the following file types 'PDF'.

1. I have deployed my app.

2. Opened a Multi page PDF file(assume 5 pages) from Microsoft "Reader" app and scrolled to 3rd page.

3. Opened the share charm, it is listing my app in the Share list.

4. Selected my app from the Share Charm list.

5. Microsoft "Reader" sends the entire PDF file instead of the current page. So, my app receives entire PDF file.

Please help, how to receive only the current page from "Reader" app instead of entire PDF file. Any work around is there to receive the current page with index from "Reader" app to my app programmatically.

Regards

Ashok

Friday, November 15, 2013 1:38 PM

Answers

• You cannot control what the Share Source provides from the target. If the Reader sends the full PDF then that is what is available to receive.

This behavior matches my technical expectations: the reader doesn't rewrite PDFs and so cannot create a new partial PDF to share. It can share only the full file. You might check if there is partial data available in other data types.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:58 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 3:45 PM

All replies

• You cannot control what the Share Source provides from the target. If the Reader sends the full PDF then that is what is available to receive.

This behavior matches my technical expectations: the reader doesn't rewrite PDFs and so cannot create a new partial PDF to share. It can share only the full file. You might check if there is partial data available in other data types.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Anne Jing Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:58 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I have created a C# Windows 8.1 store app with Share Target declaration for the following file types 'PDF'.

1. I have deployed my app.

2. Opened a Multi page PDF file(assume 5 pages) from Microsoft "Reader" app and scrolled to 3rd page.

3. Opened the share charm, it is listing my app in the Share list.

4. Selected my app from the Share Charm list.

5. Microsoft "Reader" sends the entire PDF file instead of the current page. So, my app receives entire PDF file.

Please help, how to receive only the current page from "Reader" app instead of entire PDF file. Any work around is there to receive the current page with index from "Reader" app to my app programmatically.

Regards

Ashok

This is an available option with a couple of the IOS PDF apps and I have been trying to duplicate it on my Surface. The two best options I have found is print screen and a pdf printer driver. Neither is ideal. Perhaps in a future app for Windows.
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 3:41 PM