none
deploy outlook addin for 2007,2010 on vista,xp,win7 - need help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created an outlook addin earlier just for 2007 but now it is also targeting outlook 2010 and will be run on vista, xp and win7 systems, Unfortunately the installer of the addin is created by some other person which is not now being in contact.

well I studied at net different articles , forums for deployment including following

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc563937.aspx

and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb821233.aspx

but I'm in a bit confusion and resolve the following issues, I'm facing.

the solution through which I prepare installer has 4 projects.

1) ABCAddin [the addin project for outlook)

2) XYZService [this is the  class library project which communicates with the javascript present on html template showing data by some xml in outlook explorer and executes some outlook based function ]

3) ABCInstallerHelper: this is the project which does some custom actions before installing addin and removing addin like creating directories etc.

4) ABCInstaller : this is the Setup project (I believe) as its output contains two files and one folder ( ABCInstaller.msi, setup.exe and folder Office2007PIARedist ),

so for installing this Addin I always copy the above files and run setup which installs the project. I know quite well now how to set registry of vsto, I always first publish the project after build ABCAddin  so that, its vsto files, dll etc get obtained , before build the actual installer.

but now one thing happening, which we don't want to ...and also please note that so far, we didn't sign the code and application , so still the application is untrusted so in UAC we always get asked.

when we install application at the target pc, it runs the windows installer, downloads pre-requisites etc , take input from the user which we put, creating some custom actions and complete the installation process. Well when we open outlook after this installer first time, it popups the window "Microsoft Office Customization Installer" and say Publisher not verifiedand ask to install or don't install.

My first issue is that why this is coming, when we install the software by running setup.exe , then why it asks to again install the addin. MY CLIENT consider it installation in two steps, and he wants that Installation should be done just one time. This window should not come after opening outlook.

SECOND big issue is that when I install it, in add/remove program, I see two programs installed

first ABCInstaller and second ABCAddin.

My client asked why the program is two times there, we should have single program as in add/remove program, we should remove only single instead of both two to get uninstall from the computer.

MY QUESTION got too long, but I explained all the background, Please help me, this is quite issue for me. In first article I never know that output in add/remove program has two programs or single.

Also I believe that , this is mixed mode installer. and this is fine as we needed some custom actions and also as some thrid party dlls are also being distributed.

Please help me asap.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Mehnaz13,

According to your description, you will see “Microsoft Office Customization Installer” when you launch the Outlook. Is it right?

It’s based on my experience that you need check the Update property of you VSTO deployment.

I would recommend you set the Update as “Never check for updates” and reinstall the add-in to see whether the “Microsoft Office Customization Installer” will be shown.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for your prompt response, well I was doing research in the light of your answer, well if I do what you recommended, then it does not display and uses the old vsto deployment if not removed explicitly from add/remove program menu. Well for avoiding this popup, we will need to include the addin in trusted list programmatically, for this I found the following link, well here again I've question which I'll raise in other thread.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398239%28v=VS.90%29.aspx

well my question is now as I executed all work of excel addin example in the thread,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc563937.aspx

when Addin install through windows installer, then we get two programs in add/remove program list, One setup project and other is ExcelAddin , but when I uninstall setup project , it never removes the ExcelAddin program, so if I open excel again, that Addin still exist. SAME PROBLEM IN MY OUTLOOK ADDIN. 

So my question is - any way to uninstall addin programmatically so I can do that as custom action during uninstall of setup project, so that if user click on .msi file and chhose remove project, it removes the addin also, and never show in the installed program list of the control panel.

I'm finding some code in the following link, but not sure, will help or not.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/programmatically-remove-addin-xla-t982465.html

Your help would be appreciated much

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi Mehnaz,

I think I must clarify some options for you:

1.       ExcelAddin is quite different to VSTO add-in, ExcelAddin is an Excel file which has the “*.xla” or “*.xlam” external name. Some customized VBA function will store in this file. And Only Excel has such kind of add-in.

2.       VSTO add-in, this is the specific add-in which we developed in Visual Studio to handle Office issue via PIA. It will be embedded in many sort of Office software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.

3.       I never see 2 programs will be listed in program list, I don’t know what’s wrong on your side. So I will reproduce the steps to create a window installer to distribute a sample add-in.

a)       I select an Outlook add-in Project which named “ForumProcesser”.

b)       Add a window installer project in the solution which named “ForumProcess”.

c)        Right click mouse on Application File Folder add “Project Output…” Module.

d)       Right click mouse on Application File Folder and Click “File…” menu item to add “ForumProcess.dll.manifest” and “ForumProcesser.vsto” file into Application File Folder. You will find these file at ForumProcesser project’s Debug folder.

e)       Click “Registry Editor” icon on the solution explorer.

f)        Add sub key to HKEY_CURRENT_USER Hive. Then set “Description”, “FriendyName”, “LoadBehavior” and “Manifest” in the registry editor.

g)       Build the Installer project.

h)       When you run the installer, you will find the “ForumProcess” program will be listed in program list.

PS: the steps which I describe is create a deployment for 32-bit Window System and 32-bit Office. The steps to create a 64-bit deployment for 64-bit window System 64-bit Office or 32-bit Office will be a little different. More information please review http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2010/04/09/deploying-com-add-ins-for-64-bit-office-using-visual-studio-saaid-khan-for-nathan-halstead.aspx

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hi Tom,

first of All, again great thanks to you.

1) For this, OK. I understand your point as you mentioned in regard of my last point, I produced ExcelAddin using vs.net-vsto by reading the example I mentioned you.

2)I created one more- very simple outlookAddin  to follow your steps, which just show the messagebox at startup. The difference is that currently I'm working on vs.net2008, well just to follow your example, I just skipped the steps of having prerequisites which we used to perform at our addin  installer as well as mentioned in ExcelAddin example.

then in output, we have to files setup.exe and ForumProcess.msi. Which I run, it gets installed at the system, I open the control panel, I just see the one program as you showed me in your steps figures. Well but then I open outlook, The microsoft Office Customization Installer windows popup, But as my system is vista or not sure whats the exact problem, it says , "Downloading file///C:/Program Files/Microsoft/ForumProcess/ForumProcessor did not succeed".

This problem earlier was with our installer, but it got resolved by some other person, I didn't know hat settings got done.

Anyway, if I go it the target directory and execute ForumProcess.vsto manually, it installed this customization and outlook runs addin fine (showing hello message), now if you go to control panel and see you will see two programs installed , one this setup project and other this customization.

ForumProcess and ForumProcessor, you will have to rempove both separately.

So are you experiencing this...could you just make sure that the addin not present at outlook initially and then you install the program, will office customization come up, if yes, then install , then addin run fine, and then still you have just one program, and after removing that program , outlook stopped to run that addin.

Note : Please I don't know how did you attach the screenshots here, could you let me know please.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi Mehnaz,

It’s based on my experience that will give us great helpful to run you window installer on the other computer which have clean Vista and Office system only. If your distribution can work on other computer I think you need check your computer carefully. I guess your computer has been used for a long time and a great deal of develop works are completed on that machine (some of the project change the setting of your computer without notification).

MSDN Forum can’t attach the image directly. As usually, I will send my images which I want to show to skydrive and modify my reply’s html code to show them.

This is a sample, I hope it can help you.

1.       Create a new tab on you IE.

2.       Type “http://www.live.com” into the location input box.

3.       Use your mouse hove on the “Windows Live<sup>TM</sup>” Log, you will get a menu, then click “SkyDrive”.

4.       If you are first time to use it, you need create an album for your images. Please notice that this album must Share with: Everyone(public).

5.       Enter this album, select “Add photos”.

6.       Click select “photos from your computer

7.       Select the images which you want to update.

8.       Click continue to the images list.

9.       Click the Thumbnail to show the image.

10.    Click the image then you will get the hyperlink which you will use in the post.

11.    Modify html code of you post via click “html” label on the right side.

12.    Input the tag “img” in to the html document and set “src” property as the hyperlink which you get at step 10. Then click update to finish it.

PS: I would recommend you use “p” tag before “img” tag like what I show in the image. For easy to review.

The SkyDrive is a useful tool to share our sample code or screen shooting between the community members.

I hope it can help you.

Tom
    Tom Xu [MSFT]

Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Hi Tom

Well I tested on the fresh system having win2007 installed  and office installed, same results as previous, at first time install, before running outlook, at control panel-installed program one program of FormProcess shows, then when open outlook, it shows the window for office customization, but say unable to download the file from the location the file FormProcessor, well when I go to the location where this is installed and click the file, it opens the office customization window and install the addin and when I run the outlook, the addin works fine, now if you see installed program list, you will see two programs there.

So my again questions, don't you have two programs listed at your system, if not , is the addin running fine. Because in the ExcelAddin example of vsto, same thing happening..

attached are the two screenshots, which I tried using sky drive method as you told me.

well again I'm editing the message as images are not appearing, the src are as follows which i copied from there, well different is that, my source is containing self.aspx. And for sure the image/album settings are set as for everyone(public).

http://cid-8c9984abcb4bca0d.photos.live.com/self.aspx/ImagesForMSDN/oie2.jpg

http://cid-8c9984abcb4bca0d.photos.live.com/self.aspx/ImagesForMSDN/oie2.jpg

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Hi Mehnaz,

Sorry for later response.

I tried several ways to reproduce your issue, but I failed. In these reproduce processes I found I can see the second screen shoot on my side. In your issue the “ForumProcess” will be show after the *.vsto file was installed. But I can’t found the first screen shoot on my side. All of my test add-in works fine.

I’m have few information about Win2007, I think whether you want to say Window 2008 or Window 7 system in your post.

When I review this thread again, I found all of the posts have not mentioned whether the operation is a 64-bit system. If it is, the register hive will be a bit different.

I make a simple add-in to share with you, this add-in will work fine under 32-bit system with 32-bit Outlook. http://cid-bfdf05e934413519.office.live.com/self.aspx/Sample%20Code%20for%20MSDN%20Forum/TestAddIn.zip . Please test it, and see whether it can work fine on your side.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Monday, June 20, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi Tom,

First of all, great thanks again, as you are helping me resolving this and other issues, well unfortunately I don't have vs.net2010 properly installed at my system, so unable to open the solution, so can you send me vs.net 2008 solution for this project OR just the final installer file, I'll check that.

second, the system where I'm preparing the installer of the projects is 64 bit- operating system,  having windows server 2007. The target system for the Addins could be 64 and 32 bits  having outlook  2010 and 2007. My own system, which has vista  and 32 bit system, having OL 2007 and cleint's test system for addin has windows 2007 or windows 2008 (right now off so can't say exactly) , but this is sure that we have target systems of both types, 32 and 64 having xp, vista, windows servers.

Please make me sure again that as you got second screenshot that is , you were getting two programs after vsto installed,and in the result of TestAddin, you will have 2 again, if yes, then i should look forward to the approach that how we will uninstall the second one eg ForumProcessor (Actual Addin) at the uninstall operation of ForumProcess(installer project).

Regarding first screenshot, this problem we faced in our actual addin installer also, but some other person did some fixes and resolved that issue, I don't know how, but again I'll have to research.

by the way, above problem(first screen shot) we are facing at vista , windows server 2007, 2008 but not in xp.

Also.just for the knowledge, as my actual addin prepared by vs.net 2008/vsto is working fine for both 2007 and 2010 outlook, so if I use vs.net 2010 for preparing installer , will it work for outlook 2007 also fine..(I think backward compatibility always exist).

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:20 AM
  • Hi Mehnaz,

<<the system where I'm preparing the installer of the projects is 64 bit- operating system,  having windows server 2007. The target system for the Addins could be 64 and 32 bits  having outlook  2010 and 2007.>> It means you need create a window install to fit 64-bit Operation System and 32-bit Office and another window install to fit 64-bit Operation and 64-bit Office.

<<Please make me sure again that as you got second screenshot that is>> Yes, I can find two program on my side.

I will create two test add-ins’ installer and share them to you tomorrow.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Hi Mehnaz,

Due to no 64-bit System on my side. I create a 32-bit Outlook 2007 add-in project and create MSI target to 64-bit system. It’s means that it only works on 64-bit System which has 32-bit Outlook.

I hope my sample can help you solve your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

My sample url: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=bfdf05e934413519&resid=BFDF05E934413519!121

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Hi Tom,

My own system is having vista and 32 bit (system) and outlook 2007, so this installation didn't work as you said. [this is the system, where I do development and debug but don't prepare installer, as didn't install bootstrap etc here.

Other system having 64 bit system, windows 7, but office is 32 bit installed, so there installation supported and Program installed, but when I open outlook 2007 , it never opens the installation customization window and then nothing happen (no addin installed).  Well when I run manually the vsto file from the location. it opens customization window and install and addin runs fine.

As usual in control panel , we have two programs installed.

One more system, which is windows 7,64 bit system , outlook 2010 and I belive that it has outlook 2010 - 64 bit installed. It also didn't support the installer.

Now, Tom, earlier my issue was that why I've 2 programs installed, and if yes, they will be always, then I've to work on that how at uninstall of msi , the addin program should also be uninstalled automatically.

now one more issue, that where should I prepare installer of the project, so that it will work on 64 bit system and 32 bit systems and having outlook any bit version , for 2007 and 2010. It should not be a matter.

Why your program didn't work at my third system.

I prepare installer of my actual project at the system - where 64 bit, and windows 7, and vs.net 2008. [the resulted installer , I don't care of target msi, so it works well on all computers in consideration], In the setup of my actual project installer, something is set whoich I don't know, so that it never fails to open customization window, or fail to download and run automatically install the addin.

But if at same pc, I make new project for making installer, I'm facing the above problem.

------------------------------

As the actual programming code is 32 bit , I'm sure , so if I install vs.net 2010 and then open my project solution and prepare installer, will it work for all type of systems..Any idea now.

-----------------------

so if any more help you can do, very well appreciated. and I'm also starting some work to write / think some code that will uninstall addin at uninstall of msi project.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Pardon me for jumping in, but the MSI should only be set for x64 if the Outlook addin is x64. Since Outlook 2007 didn't support x64 addins there never should be a 2007 addin MSI that's set for x64.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Tom_Xu MSFT" <=?utf-8?B?VG9tX1h1IE1TRlQ=?=> wrote in message news:8563383c-4d76-41f5-890a-8244dadd8c92...

Hi Mehnaz,

Due to no 64-bit System on my side. I create a 32-bit Outlook 2007 add-in project and create MSI target to 64-bit system. It’s means that it only works on 64-bit System which has 32-bit Outlook.

I hope my sample can help you solve your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

My sample url: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=bfdf05e934413519&resid=BFDF05E934413519!121

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Hi Mehnaz13,

The add-in only work on the Outlook and Windows which meet the requirement of it. It means that the add-in which developed for 32-bit Outlook will not work on 64-bit Outlook. If you want to create an installer which will install correct add-in to the specific Outlook, you need developed the correct add-in for the specific target and package them in you installer. You can write some snippet in the installer project to check the environment to choose the correct add-in to install.

@Ken,

Thanks for your friendly prompting. What you said give me great help on handle this case.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:39 AM
  • Glad I could help, Tom.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Tom_Xu MSFT" <=?utf-8?B?VG9tX1h1IE1TRlQ=?=> wrote in message news:5705fc19-f6b4-4f9e-bc57-75028d7d6bae...

Hi Mehnaz13,

The add-in only work on the Outlook and Windows which meet the requirement of it. It means that the add-in which developed for 32-bit Outlook will not work on 64-bit Outlook. If you want to create an installer which will install correct add-in to the specific Outlook, you need developed the correct add-in for the specific target and package them in you installer. You can write some snippet in the installer project to check the environment to choose the correct add-in to install.

@Ken,

Thanks for your friendly prompting. What you said give me great help on handle this case.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, June 24, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi ken/Tom

I again need your help for some guidelines about making installer. My outlook addin has not the code very specific to the OL2010, so it should run well on ol2007 as well as ol2010. It should run on the systems whether they are 64bit or 32 bit.

So what do you suggest, should I make single installer targeting all pcs having 32 bit/64 bit, ol2010 and ol2007. Or I should make different installers for different systems having 32 bit and 64 bit.

right now, I'm preparing installer at vs.net2008 but running on 64bit system, If I prepare installer at vs.net2010 , will it work on systems having ol2007 and also having 32bits.

Not much good in the theory of these systems architecture. so what should I do. Tom stated some idea in above section, but I wanted some clear steps/recommendation.

I'm thinking to move my solution vs.net2010, but question, whether I can make installer for 32 bit systems having ol2007 or cannot.

As in vs.net2010 - thread, I studied that if setup prepared by vs.net2010 and then if addin  installed at program files folder, the office customization installation window will never popup, is this right? well as I prepared in vs.net2008 and checked at system having ol2010 and 64 bit, this window popups.

but sometimes didn't popup - I couldn't catch the scenario, but notice that when I added vstolocal which Tom suggested to avoid double installed programs, sometimes it didn't popup, may be this is the case.

well unfortunatley to put vstolocal, well I got rid of two programs, but my one thirdparty module addinexpress is not working, they are saying that no issue with addinexpress.

well your immediate response will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

--Mehnaz

Mehnaz Anwar
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Hi Mehnaz,

Would you please star a new thread for your issue? I think this thread is too long for community members to review.

Thanks for your supporting and understanding.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:48 AM