none
Suggestions for compact PC with compatible USB3 controller for Kinect V2? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Trying to set up a computer for a digital signage application and got a Zotac ID92 which I thought would be compatible.  Unfortunately it has an Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller which gives a warning in the kinect verifier, and the framerate for depth information is insufficient.  All troubleshooting steps are in vain and given other peoples' problems with that controller makes me think it just isn't compatible.

Some people say the NUC works but other people say it doesn't so unless someone has more concrete information that is also out.

Someone said Microsoft has tested successfully with the i7 Gigabyte Brix.  So I could order that, but it would sure be nice to know if it's compatible before spending another $1000.

Anyone have any compact mini-pcs that are guaranteed to work with the Kinect V2 or any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:31 PM

All replies

• Intel NUC and GigaByte Brix Pro are the ones we have tried. I have also seen some compact Alienware systems that should work, but I can't give a specific model number/recommendation.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:04 PM
  • Thanks.  I'll try the Gigabyte Brix with the 3.2Ghz i7 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4888#ov)

I really think you should publish model numbers of actual machines that you have tested.   I think this would really help people.  It is often almost impossible to find out what kind of USB3 controller a machine has, so making a hardware choice based on that is basically trial and error.     

For desktops you can always put in the adapter but I think many people are looking for supported mini-pc form factors.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:08 PM
  • I'm happy to report that the Gigabyte Brix GB-BXi7-4770R linked above appears to work.  The Kinect verifier gives a warning about the USB controller, but depth stream framerates are OK at 30FPS (was getting about 4 on the Zotac ID92).
    Friday, April 24, 2015 2:35 AM