Expression Blend designing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    I use Expression Blend 2 and work mainly in WPF. I also have Expression Design 2.
    I wanted to know how to design nicer things in my application. Any tips on designing, for instance, buttons?
    Like making a cool button similar to the Windows 7 Taskbar buttons or something like that.
    Any ideas/tips/tutorials on how to get better designing and make the overall UI of the application look sleek and cool?
    Also, is there an easy way to use the Windows API Codepack or something else for doing Aero Glass in the application?
    I appreciate it,
    Thanks.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• You have the Expression Deisgn tutorial on this site (http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc197142.aspx). I would strongly suggest using that to ensure you're familiar with visual desing with Blend. Once there, if you're not already, you can simply go to any general design tutorial for almost any app (Photoshop, Fireworks, etc.) and will probably be able to translate those instructions and use Blend to create the same effect.

Just do a search for design tutorials in Google and you'll get plenty of ideas...
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Thanks!
    I think I'm pretty familiar with the designer in Blend already.
    Let's say I find a tutorial like you said. (For instance this one)
    Should I design it in Blend or in Expression Design?
    If in Blend, how should I do it? If I want to design a button, for instance, from a tutorial- should I just draw the shapes using Blend's tools someplace on the window and group the shapes together to make a button?
    Any other way to do it?
    I want to know if there is a better way to do it (not that doing what I said is not good. Just wondering what's the right way).
    Thanks again!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 7:54 PM
  • That button looks like you should be able to design it in Blend.

In Blend, just add a button to your project, then edit it's template. Delete all the existing parts of the button and then build the design as you want.

If you do it in Design, just design the way you'd like and then select "File - Copy XAML" (I think) then paste it into your button template.

Monday, December 14, 2009 8:19 PM