none
disable or remove PolyBase installation

Question

• Hello experts,

I just installed a new MS SQL 2016 server. Everything went well, installed with the different partitions like MS best practices, but I did one thing wrong. I dont need/want the PolyBase installation. This mpdwsvc takes 2 times 500 MB memory for the database Movement and Engine, so 1 GB for something I wont use.

The situation is still clean, but I want to remove these options before we are getting different things installed on this DB.

I cannot find it on the internet, so could anyone please explain me how to remove the PolyBase configuration from this server? I see the SQL Server PolyBase Engine and Data movement service for the main database.

I hope I dont need to uninstall complete SQL and start the installation all over, to get rit of this Polybase.

Thanks for the help!

Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Brian,

If this is a standalone instance (ie. not clustered with Windows Failover Cluster service), you can simply uninstall the Polybase feature. You can refer to this MSDN article that describes the uninstall procedure: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx.

Note: In this article, step #2 under "To Uninstall an Instance of SQL Server" is says:

"Right click MicrosoftSQL Server 2014 and select Uninstall".

This should be:

Right click Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and select Uninstall

I've raised this as an issue with our documentation team.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Hi Lin Leng,Unfortunately I dont have the option to select anything. It wants to delete the complete installation.What i did now: disable the polybase services (data movement and engine) and hope this will be enough.

The 3 instances this installation made, I will leave them as they are and will do nothing in them.

Or can I delete them?

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Just to clarify, you chose the instance on the "Select Instance" page, clicked the Next button, you were unable to check any features on the "Select Features" page? By default no features are checked. You must check the features you want to uninstall.

Thanks,

jeff

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:17 PM
  • I had this same issue. The answer from Microsoft (Jeff) below did not help me either, as Polybase was not listed as a separate feature.

What I did was I stopped the two Polybase-related services. This can be done from SQL Server 2016 Configuration Manager, if you like. Then I made them Manual (using Services application), so hopefully they only start if/when someone needs them.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:41 AM