none
VS 2017 + Large data/content directories (>1 million files etc)

Question

• Hi,

I'm upgrading an old system that used a directory/file storage hierarchy to storage data. It has over a million files in 10,000s of numbered directories. Unfortunately the root directory needs to be located in the web application root (I've tried symbolic junction/links also).

In previous versions of VS this directory would be ignored if 'attrib +H' -> Now VS 2017 is trying to read it periodically and when it does, it fails - horribly - has to be force closed etc. Plugins fail, closing VS fails, weirdnes everywhere, and when I inspect I find in Resource Monitor that VS is iterating through it again.

Is there ANY mechanism to have VS ignore a directory completely. I've tried security DENY 'Administrator' from listing that folder, doesn't work.

I will ignore people saying 'big directories are bad practice' - EVERYBODY knows that, this is real world I have to upgrade an app that was written 10+ years ago. I don't like it either.

Cheers,

Frank.

Friday, December 16, 2016 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Frank,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, you can have a look at the ‘*.csproj’ file of your project. This file has information about the files included in that project, assemblies used in that project, project GUID and project version etc. It will be automatically generated when we create or modify the project and VS load the project per the configuration information in this file.

Please open your solution or project in File Explorer and backup the ‘*.csproj’ file of your web application project that includes this root folder, then open it with Notepad or VS, then remove the node <ItemGroup></ItemGroup> which includes the root folder, then open VS and reload this solution or project to check this issue again. The removed item is hidden under Solution Explorer, but you still can use it and click the project name and there is button ‘Show All Files’ under Solution Explorer can display it like the following:

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 7:42 AM