Using PageFunction and forward and backward navigation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Im using PageFunction ojects to create a structured navigation app. When I use the default backward and forward navigation buttons in the navigation window each page function is instantiated again and I lose its state. I thought pages were stored in the journal and only removed if explicitly requested.  Is there any way to navigate backwards to a prevously created PageFunction object?

Thanks

Helen

Thursday, February 9, 2006 11:39 AM

Answers

• There are two ways to store PageFunction pages in the navigation journal, depending on the state of the KeepAlive property.

KeepAlive = false

A new instance will be instantiated every time you navigate back/forward to a PageFunction page by calling the default ctor. We save "form state" e.g., the text in TextBoxes, the state of RadioButtons, etc. but anything else will be lost unless you take special steps beyond the scope of this post :)

KeepAlive = true

We save the pages in the journal, and navigate back to the same instances on a back/forward navigation. The object is the same as when you left it.

It would help to know what release you're using if you are still having trouble.

Thursday, February 9, 2006 4:43 PM

All replies

• There are two ways to store PageFunction pages in the navigation journal, depending on the state of the KeepAlive property.

KeepAlive = false

A new instance will be instantiated every time you navigate back/forward to a PageFunction page by calling the default ctor. We save "form state" e.g., the text in TextBoxes, the state of RadioButtons, etc. but anything else will be lost unless you take special steps beyond the scope of this post :)

KeepAlive = true

We save the pages in the journal, and navigate back to the same instances on a back/forward navigation. The object is the same as when you left it.

It would help to know what release you're using if you are still having trouble.

Thursday, February 9, 2006 4:43 PM
  • Thanks that worked

Regards

Helen

Thursday, February 9, 2006 5:30 PM