Enabling Single Sign on in an application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I want to enable SSO in my application, the idea is that by logging into windows the user, with correct access rights, could execute the application without logging into the application itself. The application itself is an OODB, so I want it to create a session id without the need to logging into it.   

The application is written in C and C++. I would appreaciate if someone could direct me to the correct documents.

cheers,

Ehsan

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:23 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

• check Single Sign-On Programmer's Guide

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• Can you elaborate it little bit more.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:57 PM
  • I'm not sure how to answer this question. By default, all applications are single sign-on. That is, all applications run under the security context of the application that launched them, which is typically Windows Explorer, which was launched when the user logged on. Generally, you have to "work" to make the application not be single sign-on. That is, you might implement a list of valid users and passwords in a database and solicit the user for their credentials when they launch the application.

So I guess we have to throw the question back to you.... what makes your application "not single sign-on"?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Hi Ehsan,

I think your issue should be raised in the ApplicationSecurity for Windows Desktop. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Thanks for the feed backs,

As far as I understand under SSO the user does not need to give a username and password for running each individual application, a SSO enabled application will check to see if the user has enough rights to run it.  While on my application the user must register and then use the given username and password to connect to the DB, Just like any DB application to connect you have to give the db a valid username and password.

what I am trying to do is to allow the user to log into windows normally and then start the application and then let my DB to see who is trying to connect to it and then verify it with the windows server user management service.

I have seen stuff like this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163520.aspx, but all use the .NET framework and I need native C/C++ implementation. 

hope this has explains it a little more,

cheers

Ehsan. 

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Thanks Jesse for putting this into the correct forum :-)
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:08 AM
  • check Single Sign-On Programmer's Guide

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:42 PM