IOT Hub Device Queue Message Processing Order RRS feed

• Question

• What is the order in message getting processed at device level from IOT Hub Device Queue?

Reason behind asking this question is, suppose if device queue has message 1, 2 and 3 in an order. Message 1 can be process first next message 2 and then last message 3. Right?

Noway for the device to skip one of the message and read others from IOT Hub Device Queue!!!

Help me to understand this scenario!

Thanks, SaravanaBharathi.A

Monday, June 24, 2019 9:38 AM

All replies

• We are checking on this query and will get back to you with more details. Please check the MSDN thread which addresses similar query regarding message order.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:27 AM
  • Hello,

Can you please elaborate more on the scenario you are trying to achieve? I am unsure if you want to read C2D messages (on the device side) or D2C messages (on the server side).

I hope the following information can help you move forward (this applies to D2C messages):

Does it matter if your data arrives in order?
    IoT Hub message routing maintains the order in which messages are sent, so that they arrive in the same way. Event Grid does not guarantee that endpoints will receive events in the same order that they occurred. For those cases in which absolute order of messages is significant and/or in which a consumer needs a trustworthy unique identifier for messages, we recommend using message routing.

From: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot-hub/iot-hub-event-grid-routing-comparison

Thank you!

Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:13 AM