none
Failed Install of Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools in Visual Studio 2017

Question

• I'm getting the below error message when I try to install Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools for Visual Studio 2017, version 15.4.0.  The installer log file has numerous messages like "PKGDEF Warning: PkgDef encountered data collision in section..." referring to HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry entries.  The installation failed in Visual Studio v15.3 as well as after updating to v15.4 today.  I have tried downloading and installing via VS Extensions and Updates, as well as downloading and executing the install file outside of VS.  If anyone has any ideas on how to correct this problem, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

---

Install Error : System.InvalidOperationException: Installation of Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools failed. To install this extension please install at least one of the following components: Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:30 PM

Answers

• RESOLVED:

I uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 and removed all associated registry entries.  Rebooted machine and reinstalled VS 2017 v15.4.  I was able to install the extension and everything is working as it should now.

The only difference I can think of is that I had previously installed VS 2017 v15.0 and have done incremental updates to get it to v15.4 over the last few months.  Whereas this is a clean install of v15.4.

• Marked as answer by KCsDad Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:14 PM

All replies

• RESOLVED:

I uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 and removed all associated registry entries.  Rebooted machine and reinstalled VS 2017 v15.4.  I was able to install the extension and everything is working as it should now.

The only difference I can think of is that I had previously installed VS 2017 v15.0 and have done incremental updates to get it to v15.4 over the last few months.  Whereas this is a clean install of v15.4.

• Marked as answer by KCsDad Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Thank you for providing these information, it is very helpful to us to debug this problem. I have forwarded this to our developer team to investigate the root cause.
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:47 AM
  • I can't even uninstall the extension, and I am looking for a "solution" that is a little less disruptive than uninstalling and reinstalling VS... of COURSE *that* works. ;)  I can also re-image my VM as well, I am pretty sure that will fix the problem. ;) ;) ;)

Here is the error I get:

System.InvalidOperationException: Uninstall of Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools failed. To uninstall this extension please uninstall all of the following components: 
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.PerformSetupEngineUnInstall(IInstalledExtension extension, Boolean downgrade)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.UninstallInternal(IInstalledExtension extension, Boolean forceDelete, Version targetedVSVersion, Boolean downgrade)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionEngineImpl.Uninstall(IInstalledExtension extension, Version targetedVSVersion)
       at VSIXInstaller.InstallProgressPage.UninstallVsix(String vsixId, SupportedVSSKU targetSku, IProgress`1 progress)

Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:29 AM
  • I'm getting a similar error. I try to uninstall, it says it did.. Yet VS updates find it needs updated.. when I try to update it I get:

Install Error : System.InvalidOperationException: Installation of Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools failed. To install this extension please install at least one of the following components: Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools

I also agree, completely uninstalling, wiping registry, and reinstalling VS may have worked.. But I don't consider reinstalling or rebuilding my work environment a "resolution" to a failing extension.

Friday, December 1, 2017 6:08 PM
  • hi,

Do you have ADL Tools for VS pre-installed with VS before installing the individual vsix for it?

Please make sure that you have installed ADL Tool for VS through VS installer before you install the individual vsix. You can find the tool in VS installer under Data Storage and Process workload or Azure development workload.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi Armith,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please try below step?

1. Open Visual Studio Installer using admin permission

2. Find Data storage and process or Azure development worklaod

3. check Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics Tools to install the tool with VS Installer

4. then update the VS

Please also feel free to email us at adldevtool@microsoft.com if it doesn't work.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:37 AM
  • hi Mike,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are trying to find the root cause for this with Visual Studio team. Can you please try below workaround for now?

1. Revert the tools in Extensions & Updates
    2. Uninstall the Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics tools through Visual Studio Installer ("modify" Visual Studio, uncheck the item in "Data Storage and Processing")
    3. as the add-in is still listed in Extensions & Updates and update or uninstall fails you need to delete the tools manually. Therefore close VS and manually delete the folder "ADL Tools" (you find them under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\)
    4. the tools are not listed in Extensions & Updates any more...
    5. re-install the tools using VS Installer, just re-check the item again. This will install an old version of the tools
    6. Try to update the tools via Extensions & Updates... it should work now...

Please also feel free to email us at adldevtool@microsoft.com if it doesn't work.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:52 AM
  • I am not sure what you mean by "Revert the tools"?  In any case it's not worth the hassle.  I ended up having to taking a weekend and uninstalling and reinstalling VS2017 from scratch to get around this and a few other issues that I was having with it.  There really is no excuse for this as I created a VM from scratch specifically for VS2017 back in August.  That means somewhere between then and the post here, a simple upgrade/migration path between 15.1 and 15.4 (or some variation) caused this mess (and others). 

So, I guess the root cause is not enough testing around basic migration paths of your product.  I really hope that this doesn't occur in the future.  Creating a dedicated VM for a product is meant to circumvent exactly these types of headaches.  But for some reason your team simply couldn't resist from keeping environments in proper working order. ;)

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Thanks.

Manual deleting the ADL Tools folder did the trick for me. Before I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it but update still failed. With the folder remove the reinstall took much longer and now the  update to the latest version worked.

Monday, January 15, 2018 8:11 PM
  • hi Mike,

Sorry for the inconvenience. We are trying to find the root cause for this with Visual Studio team. Can you please try below workaround for now?

1. Revert the tools in Extensions & Updates
    2. Uninstall the Azure Data Lake and Stream Analytics tools through Visual Studio Installer ("modify" Visual Studio, uncheck the item in "Data Storage and Processing")
    3. as the add-in is still listed in Extensions & Updates and update or uninstall fails you need to delete the tools manually. Therefore close VS and manually delete the folder "ADL Tools" (you find them under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\)
    4. the tools are not listed in Extensions & Updates any more...
    5. re-install the tools using VS Installer, just re-check the item again. This will install an old version of the tools
    6. Try to update the tools via Extensions & Updates... it should work now...

Thanks for this, apparently still an issue, did a fresh install of VS 2017 15.9.6 wants to update ADL tools and still fails from Extensions and Updates.

Removed by unchecking from VS installer, think i'll leave it uninstalled for the forseeable future.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Just wanted to know, was the issue was resolved?

MSDN

Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:51 PM