none
Powerpoint COM Addin is disabled when a write protected file is opened. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a power point addin which launches a toolbar on slide show, also does some other things through the tab ribbon.

Everything works fine when a presentation which is not write protected is used. Addin loads successfully and works as expected.

But when a password-protected file is opened and user selects to open it as read-only instead of providing password, the addin is being disabled. [tab ribbon is not launched]. The addin is checked in the com addins window though.

if user enters password then no problem. addin works.

In short unable to use addin when a write-protected powerpoint presentation is opened.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi PVN,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I never meet the senario which your mentioned. Would you please clarify your Office version and VSTO version for further research.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. The problem is experienced with both MSOffice2007 and MSOffice2010.  VisualStudio2010 professional Version 10.0.30319 RTMRel is what I am using.

Summary of the problem: When a write protected presentation is opened then the addin is being disabled [I mean the tab ribbon which we need to get is disappearing].

Scenario:

1. Open Power Point -Our addin also loads and Tab ribbon is visible and everything now works fine.

2. Open a Password Protected Presentation -User is prompted to enter the password.

3. Say user selects to open the presentation under read-only mode without providing the password.

The addin is being disabled [i.e. Tab ribbon disappears]

4. Now if user opens another PPT Presentation which is not write protected, addin is loaded and everything works fine. [Tab ribbon is available]

As of now we are showing a warning message to the user if the presentation opened is write-protected but would like to find a way to retain the addin even in such scenario.

Thanks,

PVN Bhavani

• Edited by PVN Bhavani Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Hi PVN,

It's basd on my experience that the function to protect your presentation is an add-in or other protection mechanisms. It isn't the protect which PowerPoint can provide. Would you tell me whether you aware of which kind of assembly provide this function? I think we must do more research on it.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:49 AM