none
Data Factory Remote Access

Question

• Hi,

I want to access the file in remotely located server.I want to copy a file from the server to Microsoft Azure. I am currently trying to use Azure Data Factory(ADF) V2 Copy Activity to copy the file. I am having issues with the process. 

Q1. Is it the best secure way to copy the file from remote server to Azure?Waht would be a better way,if any?

Q2.I need to have self-hosted runtime in my data factory pipeline configuration in order to access the remote server. I have installed the Microsoft Integration Runtime in the remote server but how should i use that integration runtime in my ADF? 

Looking for suggestions/help.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Now i got it working. I am posting here the solution so that it may be helpful for the newcomers like me.

In order to transfer the file between remote server and Azure,

1.First of all create an Integration Runtime (IR) in Azure Data Factory (ADF).

2.Provide the IR name and select manual setup. Download the setup file.

3.Copy the downloaded setup file to remote server.

4.Install the IR in remote server and use the Authentication Key in ADF to authenticate the IR.

5.Finally, IR in remote server is connected to cloud server.

6.Use the newly installed IR in ADF to perform file transfer.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by ChetanSK Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:31 AM

All replies

• 1. If it is FTP/ SFTP server, and has direct line of sight from Azure then use the native connectors with Azure IR. If there is no line of sight to the files on server from Azure then create a self-hosted Integration runtime and install the binary on the remote machine or in the same network (line of sight to the remote files is required).

2. In the linked service (which is where you define the connection to a data store), please select the Integration Runtime as the self-hosted integration runtime that you just setup. By doing so, you are letting ADF know which Integration Runtime has line of sight to your source files/ data.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you so much for the information.

I still have one questions regarding this issue.You mentioned about the installation of binary on the remote machine.Could you please provide more detailed information about it?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

Now i got it working. I am posting here the solution so that it may be helpful for the newcomers like me.

In order to transfer the file between remote server and Azure,

1.First of all create an Integration Runtime (IR) in Azure Data Factory (ADF).

2.Provide the IR name and select manual setup. Download the setup file.

3.Copy the downloaded setup file to remote server.

4.Install the IR in remote server and use the Authentication Key in ADF to authenticate the IR.

5.Finally, IR in remote server is connected to cloud server.

6.Use the newly installed IR in ADF to perform file transfer.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by ChetanSK Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:31 AM