aspx page resource use in a shared hosting environment. RRS feed

• Question

• User240536124 posted

Searched on this for a few hours and come up with nothing. I have a standard .aspx WebForm that is a medium-resource-heavy page. It's a report page with two charts pulled from the db, images and data compiled from several different tables. When printed, it fills up most of a standard 8-1/2 by 11 inch page. It loads fairly quickly and looks nice.

So here it goes. The boss wants a way to batch feed serial numbers to the page and print all the pages at one time, instead of the user clicking the print button on each one they want to print. I moved the entire report into a repeater control and made it work.

The user might select anywhere from a few serial numbers to 50 or more. I could even see some selecting in the hundreds.

This is all using a Godaddy shared hosting account.

How does anyone go about determining a limit for something like this? By how long it takes the page to load? When it starts throwing errors?

The most obvious solution is to limit the number of serial numbers that can be bound to the repeater control. Is there some rule of thumb that anyone has as when to limit something like this?

I've never had a page be so potentially resource heavy like this so I don't know where to even start. I usually find answers searching forums, but I'm coming up empty on this.

Thanks,

Jay

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:52 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

Say it takes a minute to do 100 pages, since it is shared hosting, is there any way to determine what it does to users on other parts of the site during this time?

I don't see this as a issue unless the report causes issues with the DB like record locking.  Testing should highlight any issues.

What if two people were printing a large number of pages at the same time? Just another test it and see scenario?

Load test the application.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/test/quickstart-create-a-load-test-project?view=vs-2019

I know in Visual Studio during debug I can see CPU usage, but I have an i7 with 16 gig of ram in it. Is there any way to kind of figure out what is going to happen on godaddy?

Ask godaddy but testing should expose issues.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:17 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

How does anyone go about determining a limit for something like this?

I would select a few hundred serial numbers and see what happens.

By how long it takes the page to load? When it starts throwing errors?

Sure why not?  The browser's dev tools will show how long it takes to load the page.  You can run several tests and present the findings to your boss.  10 serial numbers take x seconds.  50 takes Y seconds.  And so on. From there you should be able to come up with a max number of serial numbers before the performance is unacceptable. 

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:41 PM
  • User240536124 posted

OK. Thanks.

Say it takes a minute to do 100 pages, since it is shared hosting, is there any way to determine what it does to users on other parts of the site during this time?

What if two people were printing a large number of pages at the same time? Just another test it and see scenario?

I know in Visual Studio during debug I can see CPU usage, but I have an i7 with 16 gig of ram in it. Is there any way to kind of figure out what is going to happen on godaddy?

At some point, we may go to a dedicated server. The bad thing with that is, the users upload a lot of files and the shared hosting plan has unlimited storage. The good thing is, I would know more about the environment it is running in.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:31 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I don't see this as a issue unless the report causes issues with the DB like record locking.  Testing should highlight any issues.

Load test the application.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/test/quickstart-create-a-load-test-project?view=vs-2019

Ask godaddy but testing should expose issues.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:17 PM
  • User240536124 posted

Load test the application:

Web performance and load test projects are only available in the Enterprise edition of Visual Studio.

Well there went that.

Maybe my terminology is wrong, but for all the books I have on asp.net, none of them discuss resource use in a shared hosting environment.

I think I am above average in my ability to use google and track down obscure things. I just don't come up with much on this topic at all.

Monday, December 2, 2019 10:19 PM