AJAX control doesn't seem to do partial page update. RRS feed

• Question

• User-753400859 posted

I'm trying to do a very simple partial page update with a TextBox control using the TextChanged event to fire the update.  Everything works, except its doing a full page post pack rather than a partial page update.  I don't want the entire page to post back, what can I do to make this work.  Here is the code in question:

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="usernamePanel" UpdateMode="Conditional" ChildrenAsTriggers="true" runat="server">
    <Triggers>
    d <asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger EventName="TextChanged" ControlID="username" />
    </Triggers>
    <ContentTemplate>
    <asp:PlaceHolder ID="notUniqueUsername" runat="Server" Visible="false"><font color="red">Username already in use.   Please select another one.</font></asp:PlaceHolder>

<asp:ValidationSummary ID="Validationsummary2" Runat="server" ShowSummary="true" DisplayMode="BulletList" HeaderText="b>" />

</ContentTemplate>
    </asp:UpdatePanel>

<asp:TextBox width="300" MaxLength="25" ID="username" AutoPostBack="true" TextMode="SingleLine" Runat="server" />

<asp:UpdatePanel id="<span" class="st"><Triggers><ContentTemplate><asp:TextBox width="<span" class="st"></asp:TextBox></ContentTemplate></Triggers></asp:UpdatePanel>

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:26 PM

Answers

• User-753400859 posted

The script manager tag is in there, just not in the sample code that I posted.  Its near the top of the page after the form tag.

I think what I need to do it create a plain-jane page and then try the samples that are posted all over the place.  That way I can confirm that it actually works.  (I tried upgrading my existing .NET app to use ajax.)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:48 AM

All replies

• User-1684099974 posted

Place the textbox inside of the updatepanel's contenttemplate.  If a control which causes postback is not in an updatepanel, it's going to cause a visible refresh.  Adding it as a trigger to an updatepanel does nothing to stop that.  It's the updatepanel itself that hides the refresh, not being a trigger.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:43 PM
  • User-753400859 posted

Even if I stick the code in the updatepanel, I still get a full page refresh.  Checking scriptmanager1.IsAsyncPostBack shows false.

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="usernamePanel" UpdateMode="Always" runat="server">										
    										<Triggers>
    										    <asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="username" EventName="TextChanged" />
    										</Triggers>
                                            <ContentTemplate>                                                   
                                                <asp:TextBox width="300" MaxLength="25" OnTextChanged="usernameCheck" ID="username" TextMode="SingleLine" Runat="server" />				                                            
                                                <asp:PlaceHolder ID="notUniqueUsername" runat="Server" Visible="false"><font color="red">Username already in use.</font></asp:PlaceHolder>												
    										</ContentTemplate>

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:50 PM
  • User770037084 posted

If a control which causes postback is not in an updatepanel, it's going to cause a visible refresh.  Adding it as a trigger to an updatepanel does nothing to stop that.  It's the updatepanel itself that hides the refresh, not being a trigger.

AsyncPostBackTriggers don't have to be inside an UpdatePanel.  Try this code, for example:

<asp:ScriptManager runat="server" ID="sm1" />
    <asp:Button runat="server" ID="Button1" OnClick="Button1_Click" />
    <asp:UpdatePanel runat="server" ID="up1">
    <Triggers>
    <asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="Button1" />
    </Triggers>
    <ContentTemplate>
    <asp:Literal runat="server" ID="Literal1" />
    </ContentTemplate>
    protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    Literal1.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString();
    }
    Clicking Button1 results in a partial postback, not a full one.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:31 PM
  • User770037084 posted

I'm trying to do a very simple partial page update with a TextBox control using the TextChanged event to fire the update.  Everything works, except its doing a full page post pack rather than a partial page update.  I don't want the entire page to post back, what can I do to make this work.  Here is the code in question:

Try removing the EventName qualifier on your AsyncPostBackTrigger declaration.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:32 PM
  • User-1623675128 posted

Where is your ScriptManager TAG in your code????

Thanks,

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:03 AM
  • User-753400859 posted

The script manager tag is in there, just not in the sample code that I posted.  Its near the top of the page after the form tag.

I think what I need to do it create a plain-jane page and then try the samples that are posted all over the place.  That way I can confirm that it actually works.  (I tried upgrading my existing .NET app to use ajax.)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:48 AM