When is a data source not a data source?! RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 reports in my project which I've deployed.

When users run 2 of the reports they get the following message (the third report runs fine)

An error has occurred during report processing.

Cannot create a connection to data source 'Windowmaker'.

For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

However the data source the message shows isn't the data source it's the project name.

I've tried setting the users to have various permissions under reporting services with no luck.

Thought it might be a windows server permissions issue, but they can run the third report. (I'm in the WS administrator group and the reports run for me).

Thanks

Steven

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:31 AM

Answers

• There are a few things you can try.

1. Check your solutions as by default, when deploying the "overwrite data source" option is off meaning that if you changed the data source options, credentials etc. these would not be updated when redeploying.
    2. Try navigating to the data source in report manager and resetting the authentication options or re-entering the password (if you are connecting unsing SQL authentication)
    3. In report manager, try going to the properties page of the problematic reports and repointing them to the data source.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 1:30 PM

All replies

• What error do you get when you run this report from the SSRS server itself?
    Monday, February 19, 2007 12:46 PM
  • There are a few things you can try.

1. Check your solutions as by default, when deploying the "overwrite data source" option is off meaning that if you changed the data source options, credentials etc. these would not be updated when redeploying.
    2. Try navigating to the data source in report manager and resetting the authentication options or re-entering the password (if you are connecting unsing SQL authentication)
    3. In report manager, try going to the properties page of the problematic reports and repointing them to the data source.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Jason - thanks

I don't get an error at that level

Steven

Monday, February 19, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Adam

2 - helped as when I looked at the data source there were no dependant items

3- helped as I then spotted that 'Windowmaker' was a data source - albeit an invalid one - that the 2 reports were pointing to.

Definitely a 'wood for the trees' errors.

Many thanks

Steven

Monday, February 19, 2007 1:53 PM