none
Newer verions of .Net CF for PPC 2003 ARM, do I need to install anything on my PC to target ARM, etc RRS feed

• Question

• I working on an Intermec 751 with an ARM PXA255 CPU. The device is running PPC 2003, .NET CF 1.0.4292.00. My IDE on the PC side is VS 2008. I have three questions:

1. There are several ARM versions/families. Is there way to determine which ARMv that ARM PXA255 belongs to (surprisingly google has been unhelpful in this)?

2. If I wanted to upgrade .Net CF on the device to something newer but still remain within something that the device is capable of running (bearing in mind that is older hardware running PPC 2003), what are my options and where can I locate them?

3. Within VS 2008, I went to Build -> Configuration Manager and the only available option is Any CPU. Is this OK or do I install something on the PC side to target ARM? If I need to install something on top of VS 2008, what should I install and where would I find it?

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:58 PM

Answers

• 1. PXA255 belongs to XScale architecture which is based on ARMv5.

2. Latest version .NET CF 3.5 which also supports PPC 2003.You can find the CAB installer to install it on the device in the following location of your development PC.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\WindowsCE\NETCFv35.ppc.armv4.cab

If it is not found then download the package from the following link.

Copy this file to your device and double click to install the same on the device.

3. In VS2008, while creating the new smart device project you can select the .NETCF version(either 2.0 or 3.5 etc).It will show target as Any CPU only,it is not a problem.

Regards,
    Prabu [eMVP]
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:31 AM

All replies

• PXA255 requires ARMv4. Not sure you have PPC 2003 SDK supported to VS2008.

Vinoth.R

www.e-consystems.com

http://vinoth-vinothblog.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:01 AM
  • 1. PXA255 belongs to XScale architecture which is based on ARMv5.

2. Latest version .NET CF 3.5 which also supports PPC 2003.You can find the CAB installer to install it on the device in the following location of your development PC.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\WindowsCE\NETCFv35.ppc.armv4.cab

If it is not found then download the package from the following link.

Copy this file to your device and double click to install the same on the device.

3. In VS2008, while creating the new smart device project you can select the .NETCF version(either 2.0 or 3.5 etc).It will show target as Any CPU only,it is not a problem.

Regards,
    Prabu [eMVP]
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:31 AM