none
VS 2015 Prof freezes when loading System.Windows.Controls.DomainServices.dll

Question

• I am new to VS and to C# and I'm working through the Hello example in Chapter 1 of "Microsoft Visual C# Step by Step".

After creating a new project (Blank App (Universal Windows)) I open MainPage.xaml and click on the toolbar tab .. at which point VS freezes while displaying "Adding toolbox items from assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Silverlight\System.Windows.Controls.DomainServices.dll'".

When I look for this file via Explorer I find it is in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Libraries\Silverlight
    NOT in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Silverlight

How do I resolve this please?

Thursday, July 07, 2016 9:50 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply Jack.

It is working fine now.

I have a very clean system .. having just done a clean install of Win 10 Pro then added Access 2010, Office Pro 2013, SQLS Express 2014 and VS 2015 Pro.

I think the issue was just an initial VERY slow load of that dll .. literally many minutes .. several times .. but eventually it suddenly completed after I had visited Options (but changed nothing) and then retried.

So now all the controls are there just waiting to go each time I start up.

• Marked as answer by JezPerth Friday, July 08, 2016 9:35 AM
    Friday, July 08, 2016 9:35 AM

All replies

• Several times I followed the same steps above with the exact same result (closing VS between tries).

On the last attempt it successfully loaded the dll .. but I have no idea why .. did it just need longer than one would consider "normal"?

Thursday, July 07, 2016 10:09 AM
  • Hi JezPerth,

>>On the last attempt it successfully loaded the dll .. but I have no idea why .. did it just need longer than one would consider "normal"?

Just to make this issue clearly, does it work well now?

If I use the VS to create the project for the first time, for example, create a windows app, if I open the Toolbox windows, it really has a delay, it will load all dll files. But if I use it for the second time, it would be quick.

>>VS freezes while displaying "Adding toolbox items from assembly 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\RIA Services\v1.0\Silverlight\System.Windows.Controls.DomainServices.dll'".

It seems that other members also met the similar issue before even if it was the old VS2012 version:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4c7b31b4-b25d-488b-bcc6-2fe81b7001ff/weird-slow-startup-this-am?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Maybe you could check that whether it is related to the system performance, like Mimosa's reply, please check that whether it is related to third party processes or tools or large cache files or others in your side.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 08, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Jack.

It is working fine now.

I have a very clean system .. having just done a clean install of Win 10 Pro then added Access 2010, Office Pro 2013, SQLS Express 2014 and VS 2015 Pro.

I think the issue was just an initial VERY slow load of that dll .. literally many minutes .. several times .. but eventually it suddenly completed after I had visited Options (but changed nothing) and then retried.

So now all the controls are there just waiting to go each time I start up.

• Marked as answer by JezPerth Friday, July 08, 2016 9:35 AM
    Friday, July 08, 2016 9:35 AM
  • Glad to know that you have resolved this issue, JezPerth.

Have a nice day,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, July 10, 2016 5:47 AM