Error setting Text property inside on thread

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to use one paralel thread to update some properties from XAML components at runtime, and I don’t want to use the Windows.System.Threading.ThreadPool component instead of System.Threading.Thread. I did some tests using C#, and on the line commented below it throw a catastrophic error “Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))”. See on the piece of code bellow.

private void TheadStartButton_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

{

System.Threading.Thread MyThread = new System.Threading.Thread(new System.Threading.ThreadStart(ThreadMethod));

System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(2000);

MyThread.Start();

}

void ThreadMethod()

{

Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog BoxOk = new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("Thread running...");

BoxOk.ShowAsync().Start();

//MyTextBlock.Text = "Test...";

}

Thank you very much for any support.

Monday, January 02, 2012 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems a C# code. Any way, you should use the element in the UI thread and call the element's Dispatcher.Invoke/InvokeAsync to set the "MyTextBloc" property.

void ThreadMethod()
            {
                Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog BoxOk = new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("Thread running...");
                BoxOk.ShowAsync().Start();
                this.Dispatcher.Invoke(Windows.UI.Core.CoreDispatcherPriority.Normal,
                    (s,e) => { MyTextBlock.Text = "Test..."; }, this, null);
            }

and below is the C++/CX syntax:

auto callback = ref new InvokedHandler(
            [this](Object^ sender, InvokedHandlerArgs^ eInvoke) { this->MyTextBlock->Text = "Test..."; },
            CallbackContext::Any
            );
        this->Dispatcher->Invoke(CoreDispatcherPriority::Normal, callback, this, nullptr);

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Leo Soares Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:17 AM