none
Error: The project cannot be created. (Excel 2016 VSTO Workbook) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create my first Excel 2016 VSTO Workbook.

Setup: Windows 10 (64 bit); Office 2016 (64 bit); VS 2015 Update 3 Community

I can run an Excel 2016 VSTO add-in

I cannot create the template project.

I get the (uninformative) error in the title.

I have trapped the following as the source in the Windows EVENT Viewer:

------------

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 16.0.7369.2038, time stamp: 0x57f8d4b9

Faulting module name: VSTOExcelAdaptor.dll, version: 14.0.23928.0, time stamp: 0x56f88e40
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000026df7
    Faulting process id: 0x2f14
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d22fd856dc246f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\x64\VSTOExcelAdaptor.dll
    Report Id: dfc1f022-4a20-46ea-a98b-804f3ceb9d2f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

-------------------

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi cognociente,

there are several reasons that can lead to occur this error.

you can try to follow the suggestions mentioned below.

Try to run visual studio as an Administrator.

If any Excel workbook is already open in the Excel Application then close it and try to create project again.

confirm that Addin is enable in Excel Application.

click on "File" menu. then go to "Options".

click on "Trust center" then click on "Trust center Settings"

Then go to "Addins" Tab.

make sure all the options are unchecked like mentioned in the picture below.

Reference:

The project cannot be created

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Com Add-In for the design time adaptor is enabled in Excel

Trust Settings are and were as you outlined above;

I have closed Excel; run Visual Studio as Administrator;

The precursor to the above (yesterday) had me installing Visual Studio Update 3;

Have run a repair on Visual Studio Tools for Office; 

=> Same error.

Is this supposed to work with Visual Studio Community Edition? The only thing I can think of at the moment.
    • Edited by cognociente Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:12 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi cognociente,

you had mentioned that,"Is this supposed to work with Visual Studio Community Edition? The only thing I can think of at the moment."

Yes, you can create template project with VS Community Edition.

if possible then try remove the update 3 and try to create the template again.

if still error exist then try to reinstall the VS without update 3 if it work then you can try to update again.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 12:28 AM
  • See the other thread on this subject:

Project cannot be created

(The temporary workaround is to roll-back to a previous version of Excel and disable automatic updates of Excel. Obviously the Excel team will need to fix this ASAP.)

Monday, October 31, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Downgrading resolves the issue.  

The temporary workaround is to roll-back to a previous version of Excel and disable automatic Office updates. 

1. Open Excel > File > Account > Update Options > Disable Updates

2. Note of your Office version under Office Updates

3. Keep reverting to the previous version of Office 2013 / 2016 until issue is resolved:
         Start on Step 2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2770432

In my case, I went from 6965.2115 (December 13, 2016) to 6965.2105 (November 8, 2016)... but issue persisted.

Then down to 6965.2092 (October 11, 2016).. and ISSUE RESOLVED!

------------
    As of Dec. 2016, there's no official Microsoft fix.

Here's the open BUG at Microsoft. Anyone facing this frustration, please up vote to voice your concerns so that Microsoft can take priority on this:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3117015/excel-designer-cannot-be-activated-visual-studio
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Gurdian Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:46 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:46 PM
  • I too had this same problem. I had to back down to an older version of excel.  I then installed Visual Studio 2017 RC, and updated my excel version to the latest.  Installing VS2017 fixes the VSTO issue above, and this fixed my problem in VS2015.  Since it's fixed in 2017 it seems like MS should release a fix for this in 2015.
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Where to download the VSTO for VS2017RC?  Thanks!

I installed VS 2017 RC, but Ican't find the VSTO for it. So I had to uninstall 2017 and reinstalled 2015. But same problem "Project cannot be created." happened after a clean installation of Office 365 and VS 2015. 

cj

Sunday, December 25, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Hi icopcj,

you can just try to return to the previous update for Excel will solve your issue.

visit the link provided by David Chennells.

you will know which version is working. till that version downgrade the excel.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 26, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thank you for replying and giving advice. 

I'm trying hard to revert to the previous version. But unfortunately, I don't know which one will work. I've tried a few times.

1. Deferred channel(6965.2092): failed to download the version blabla..  So I have to revert to some Current Channel version.

2. 1609(7369.2038): Problem still there.

3. 1608(7341.2035):  reverted  from( 23:40 to 02:00 +1) after 2 hours, Same problem.

4. 1605(6965.2063,  June 30, 2016):   Finally,  this version is working!!!!

It seems that something wrong with the versions after 1605 ??

For every reversion, it takes at least 20 minutes.  And I don't think this is a good way to solve the problem. This is just a low efficient way to avoid mistake.

The most important thing for Office 365 users is that they deserve the latest version of Office since they already paid for it. Now there's some problem, MS should update and fix it ASAP instead of asking the users to revert to some uncertain old version and disable auto-update. Where's the advantage of Office 365?

Happy holidays!

cj

• Edited by iopcj Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:54 AM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Hi iopcj,

you had mentioned that,"The most important thing for Office 365 users is that they deserve the latest version of Office since they already paid for it. Now there's some problem, MS should update and fix it ASAP instead of asking the users to revert to some uncertain old version and disable auto-update. Where's the advantage of Office 365?"

I agree with you on your above comments.

but on this forum we only provide a support for VSTO.

to resolve this error currently we only have this solution.

there is no any solution is available that can work with latest updates.

you can submit your feedback regarding this issue to Excel User voice and also submit the feedback from your Office 365 account.

please visit the link mentioned below to submit your feedback.

Excel User Voice

For Office 365 Feedback , open Office 365 Account.

on bottom of the right side you will find Feedback button.

you can submit your feedback there.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

Thank you so much for saving me a lot of time to solve this problem.

Sorry, for those complaints. They were not against this technical forumn and so many nice guys here.

Understood. I'll feedback this issue as a common Office 365 user. Hope that they can fix it ASAP.

Thanks a lot again!

cj

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Hi iopcj,

in your second last reply you had mentioned that,"1605(6965.2063,  June 30, 2016):   Finally,  this version is working!!!! "

from that line I can understand that your issue is solved.

so please mark the suggestion as an answer given by David Chennells and help us to close this thread.

if you do not take mark action then this thread will be open forever.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 1:40 AM
  • I would hope that this matter is fixed ASAP and really i would not have purchased Office 2016 if i new this was a problem.
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 1:38 AM
  • Congrats!

Daniel / VSTO team

Helping us.

Friday, February 3, 2017 11:47 PM
  • Congrats!

Daniel / VSTO team its helping us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like a Rihanna, work, work, work, work with me. Downgraded to version 6965.2105!

Leo you're amazing, tnks again.

Saturday, February 4, 2017 12:11 AM
  • New update on Office Insider Fast  fixes problem with 2016. I can create projects again. 

Replacing VBE7.dll with an older version fixed the issue for my 2016 install. 

I develop VSTO for both 2013 and 2016.

Monday, February 13, 2017 9:01 PM
  • @khalin,

Which version is your Excel? Updating my Excel to version 1702 solved my problem.

http://www.ambienteoffice.com.br || Grupo de WhatsApp: https://chat.whatsapp.com/K1uey5Q4yJdKnsgWkVQAZG

Friday, March 31, 2017 10:11 PM
  • Hi cognociente,

The issue is resolved now.

as already mentioned by Felipe Costa Gualberto.

you need to install the latest update which is 1702.

and try to create Excel project. now you will be able to create it successfully.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 3, 2017 8:11 AM
  • This issue seems to be back. I have installed VS 2017 Community with all necessary components. I have the latest build of Excell - Version 1711(Build 8730.2127 Windows Store)

This build of Excel has no option to stop updates or roll back to an earlier version.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:06 PM
  • Hi Xander Prym,

I am using Version 1712.

I try to create a VSTO Workbook project.

I find that it is working fine.

I suggest you to Update your Excel and again try to create the Workbook Project.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 5, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Rolling back should not be an acceptable answer.  Fix the root problem. 
    Tuesday, April 30, 2019 9:53 PM