none
jQuery NuGet update breaks Webform Web site

General discussion

• Hello, If I install the jQuery NuGet update then it breaks my ASP.NET C# Webform Web site because any Bootstrap elements, e.g., dropdown, 3 bars menu... cannot be clicked anymore and don't display what they should display. To reproduce, generate a Webform Web site, then install the update and try to click on the 3 bars menu when the window is small, you will see that it doesn't react anymore when clicked.

Have you been able to update to these new NuGet packages especially jQuery and still get your Webform Web site working?

Thursday, September 08, 2016 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi jmseigneur2,

>> dropdown, 3 bars menu... cannot be clicked anymore and don't display what they should display.

Could you share me a screen shot about the dropdown, 3bars menu? I'm not very sure that what the menus are in your side.

In addition, as you said that you update the jQuery package, what is your previous and current package version?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, September 11, 2016 6:54 AM
  • Hello,

I wanted to post an image with 3 bars menu (white rectangle with black background and 3 white horizontal bars) at the top right corner that cannot be clicked when upgrading the new jQuery NuGet package 3.1.0 but I couldn't because my account is not verified yet. The 3 bars menu button is the standard button that appears when a window is reduced and Bootstrap is used. Clicking on the 3 bars menu works when I use the initially installed jQuery NuGet package version 1.10.2.

BR,

Jm

Sunday, September 11, 2016 7:14 AM
  • Hi Jm,

Is it the specific web app or a default web project? Whether the 3 bars are in the VS IDE or the web project page?

>>but I couldn't because my account is not verified yet.

Please verify your account here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=reportabug&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Sorry for that I'm not very sure that what the menus are in your side, could you get them in the following screen shot?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, September 12, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Hello,

I've asked the forum manager to verify my account.

It works when you do new : File > New > Web site > ASP.NET Web Forms Site

The 3 horizontal bars menu image appears when the size of the window is small. It is the normal behaviour of a Bootstrap navbar menu. When clicking on that 3 horizontal bars menu image, the menu items appears and can be used to go to the other pages of the Web site.

Then when you upgrade to the latest version of JQuery with the NuGet Package manager saying that an update is available, clicking on the Bootstrap  3 horizontal bars menu image or dropdown doesn't work anymore.

BR,

Jm

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Hi Jm,

As you said that they work well before you install the update package, if so, what messages did you get if you click the three menus or put the mouse on the three image? Is it the menu send feedback/Total Notifications/VS IDE icon like the following screen shot?

I create a simple web site project, and then update the packages, change the VS Editor site to the small one like the above screen shot, the menu still works well in my side. Of course, the Total Notifications window couldn't show.

This is my VS2015 Enterprise version with update 3, so please mark sure that you use the latest VS2015 version.

If I use the same steps as yours, and your version is the same one, I suggest you repair your VS, before you re-install the VS, please also disable all extension tools/add-ins in your VS, test it again. 

If I still misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Thanks for your efforts but until I can post screenshots I think it is difficult to better explain. The issue is not about Visual Studio, it is about the generated Web site whose Bootstrap dropdown or menu elements cannot be clicked after upgarding to JQuery NuGet package latest version. Alternatively we can discuss this on Skype if you can my username on Skype is jmseigneur Best regards, Jm
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:37 AM
  • @Jm,

If it is about the web site, do you mean that they are the menu in the web page of the IE browser or others?

Can you share the text or name for the specific menu elements or others in the web site? I think this issue would be easy to repro if we know that what the menus are. Do you test it in other VS2015 machine? Do you use the IE as the default browser?

Sorry for that I couldn't provide the skype support, but you could reply this case after you get the account to post the screen shot, I look forward to hearing from you:)

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Ok so if you minimize your Web site current page as shown on your screenshot, you will see that the top menu is replaced by a 3 horizontal bars image when the window is small. When you click on that image, the full menu is supposed to be displayed. It works before updating to the latest version of JQuery NuGet package, after clicking on that image doesn't display the menu. I've used Chrome so far locally and deployed on Azure Web app.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Thanks for your friendly response, Jm.

So it is the image A like the following screen shot, I test it in my side, it still could show all dropdown items after I install the JQuery NuGet package.

I feel that it is the browser version issue, so I also update Chrome to the latest version 53.0.2785.116m(64-bit) in my windows 10, it still works well even if the image A has some changes.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 15, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Sorry but you are clicking on the 3 horizontal bars button of Chrome, not on the Web site page. You should see another 3 horizontal bars button on the Web page and when you click on it after upgrading it doesn't work anymore.
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:08 AM
  • Do you mean that the C image like the following screen shot?

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:30 AM
  • Yes, when I upgrade to the latest JQuery NuGet package, clicking on that C image won't display the menu items as before. BR, Jm
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Hi Jm,

As you said that your page site is small, but one issue is that you just can see A and C(not B), we couldn't see the lists unless you could see B like the following screen shot.

Click that menu, I will see the lists even if not all items are displayed.

And then I update JQuery NuGet package, it has the same results as the above steps.

But I could make sure that if no B in the first screen shot, we couldn't see the list items Home/About and others.

Best Regards,

Jack

Friday, September 16, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Strange it doesn't work on my side. Thanks anyway.
    Friday, September 16, 2016 7:30 AM
  • I use the VS Enterprise 2015 version 14.0.25431.01 in latest windows 10 machine, maybe you could update your windows, please also install the latest VS update package or KB under the TOOLS->Extensions and Update windows, and then restart your VS, create a new website, check it again.

I just use the default VS settings, if possible, you could reset your VS settings, or test it in other windows, at least, we could make sure that whether it would be related to the specific Environment.

Monday, September 19, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi jmseigneur2,

Do you find the real reason for this issue? What about the latest information about this question?

Sincerely,

Jack

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:58 AM