Stable VS2015 tooling for web development? RRS feed

• Question

• User-146510594 posted

With the recent reworking of ASP.NET Core, I want to retreat to a very stable, supported, setup for web development (MVC, WinForms, Web API) based on .NET 4.6.x on VS 2015 Professional.  My question is about tooling:

1. Compared to VS2013, VS2015 is missing templates for adding a new Controller, specifically: MVC5 both empty and with EF as well as WebAPI, both empty and with EF6. How do I get them in VS2015?

2. If I uninstall ASP.NET 5 RC1 Update 1, it seems I lose ALL the project templates for "Web" projects. How can I set up VS2015 with only the stable templates ( up to .NET 4.6.x, EF6, MVC5, Web API 2)?

Thanks!

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:39 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

IW.Net

1. Compared to VS2013, VS2015 is missing templates for adding a new Controller, specifically: MVC5 both empty and with EF as well as WebAPI, both empty and with EF6. How do I get them in VS2015?

As the picture shows below, those are asp.net template in VS 2015. They are all available for you, besides some new features are added to VS 2015 comparing to VS 2013.

ASP.NET 5 and Visual Studio 2015 include the following new features:

• New flexible and cross-platform runtime

• New modular HTTP request pipeline

• Cloud-ready environment configuration

• Unified programming model that combines MVC, Web API, and Web Pages

• Ability to see changes without re-building the project

• Run multiple .NET Framework versions side-by-side

• Ability to self-host or host on IIS

• New tools in Visual Studio 2015, including Grunt, Gulp, Bower, and NPM integration

• Open source in GitHub

IW.Net

2. If I uninstall ASP.NET 5 RC1 Update 1, it seems I lose ALL the project templates for "Web" projects. How can I set up VS2015 with only the stable templates ( up to .NET 4.6.x, EF6, MVC5, Web API 2)?

In my opinion, it's not recommended to uninstall ASP.NET 5 RC1 Update 1, I'd like to suggest you to use features installed by default, it's stable per my experience.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 9:14 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

IW.Net

As the picture shows below, those are asp.net template in VS 2015. They are all available for you, besides some new features are added to VS 2015 comparing to VS 2013.

ASP.NET 5 and Visual Studio 2015 include the following new features:

• New flexible and cross-platform runtime

• New modular HTTP request pipeline

• Cloud-ready environment configuration

• Unified programming model that combines MVC, Web API, and Web Pages

• Ability to see changes without re-building the project

• Run multiple .NET Framework versions side-by-side

• Ability to self-host or host on IIS

• New tools in Visual Studio 2015, including Grunt, Gulp, Bower, and NPM integration

• Open source in GitHub

IW.Net

In my opinion, it's not recommended to uninstall ASP.NET 5 RC1 Update 1, I'd like to suggest you to use features installed by default, it's stable per my experience.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 9:14 AM
  • User-146510594 posted

Hi Angie,

I think I need to explain my question better. 

For #1: I'm talking about the scaffolding options in a new MVC project, which come after the choice for the project type that you show in the image. How do I get the "Add New Controller" scaffolding options in VS2015 similar to those available in VS2013?

For #2: If I uninstall ASP.NET 5 RC1 Update 1 as you recommend and I want to do, ALL the Web project templates (File-New-Project) are missing!

Thanks,

Ian

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:06 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi IW.Net, 

For #1: As you mentioned above, there isn't "Add New Controller" scaffolding options in VS2015, it's recommend to add Controller using add new item option, or right click to add new Controller.

For 2#: You could install VS 2015 using By default option, and don't uninstall ASP.NET 5 RC1 Update 1.

If I misunderstand you or anything wrong, please let me know, thanks.

Have a good day.

Angie

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:25 AM