Best and Cheapest Way To Show Video On Site RRS feed

• Question

• User-581842504 posted

If I want to create a site and provide video clips for people to watch (ex. tv show, small video clip) what is the cheapest way to do it?

Should I use YouTube and embed the video in my page or is there a better way?

I have very little money for hosting, probably no more than $50/month unless I can generate income to help pay the costs.

These clips might be anywhere from a few seconds to 20 minutes long. The format will probably be mp4 or avi, but could be something else.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:13 PM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

As of today in 2012 you can still use Silverlight or Flash to embed video clips on your site. YouTube is going to require Flash anyways, but if you want to host it yourself I would use Silverlight (for now) if you don't mind the client downloading the plugin.

Ideally you would use the <video> tag from the HTML5 spec (see http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_video.asp) to show video. This is definently the future and no plugin is needed. The only tiny issue at this point is that not all browsers (or different versions of browsers) support that tag.

If the video clips are small enough then you should be able to place them in a folder where your site is hosted. If space is an issue and makes you exceed some type of hosting costs, then yes using a 3rd party provider like YouTube might be worth investigating.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:35 PM

All replies

• User607059406 posted

I think YouTube is the cheapest way , so go through it  as video need lot of space on  the server .

video streaming also good in case of youtube

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:04 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

As of today in 2012 you can still use Silverlight or Flash to embed video clips on your site. YouTube is going to require Flash anyways, but if you want to host it yourself I would use Silverlight (for now) if you don't mind the client downloading the plugin.

Ideally you would use the <video> tag from the HTML5 spec (see http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_video.asp) to show video. This is definently the future and no plugin is needed. The only tiny issue at this point is that not all browsers (or different versions of browsers) support that tag.

If the video clips are small enough then you should be able to place them in a folder where your site is hosted. If space is an issue and makes you exceed some type of hosting costs, then yes using a 3rd party provider like YouTube might be worth investigating.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:35 PM